Donut Cake Contest- Any Ideas?? Need Help!!!!

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 3:27am by Rylan

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 3

Fellow CC'ers:

I was contacted today by a donut shop who received my info from one of my longtime clients. The donut shop is having some promotional activities in the community and they are sponsoring a decorator's competition.

I have been asked to participate. I can make anything I want but the catch is that I have to use their donuts as the "cake". I can use buttercream, fondant, and any of the creative decorating techniques we commonly use.

Here's the catch- I don't know what to make!!! My concern is how would I ice the cake because of all the holes and indentions in the donuts??

has anyone ever made a cake from donuts before? It can be no more than 4 tiers tall. Any ideas????

Any suggestions/ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

rhopar33

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 3

i know there are some cool ones in the gallery, if it working jut now, lol. or else on google.
id be thinking more about accents, like flowers, simpson charicters, dribbling ganache... mmm!
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 3

If you spread a thin layer of buttercream on the donut and a layer of fondant, I don't see how difficult that would be.

You can also crush the donuts, just like you are making cake balls, mix it with buttercream and shape it onto the pans. Once it takes the shape, take it off and cover in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%