Fondant Board With Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm by Mikel79

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making my first wedding cake next weekend and I would really like to cover my board in white fondant. However, the cake will be all buttercream and I have read that most decorators do not do this combination. Is it possible to do or should I just cover the board with white paper? Also, is 3 inches of cake board too much on each side (it will be square - 6, 10, 14" tiers)? I would appreciate any help!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Cherry Cakes!

This is possible. Take a look at my photos. I have a chocolate cake with a bow on the top and on the side. It is BC icing with a fondant covered board. There are many ways to do this. How I do it is by icing your cake on your cake board first. Roll your fondant out. Take the size of your cake drum/board and trace and cut out a piece about 1-2 inches longer. Then take the pan your bottom layer was made from and cut out a piece in the middle of your rolled out fondant You should have a circle within a circle. At the very back, cut 2 slits to seperate. Cover your board with some piping gel. Take fondant piece one and lay it on your board. Take fondant piece two and lay it on as well. If you have a over lapping piece, just cut to fit. Smooth the edges until they overlap the sides. Cut the sides off. Attach a matching ribbon to the side.

This discription might seem complicated, but it is soooooooo simple. PM me if you have any questions.....

HTH =)

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your help! I checked out your pictures (beautiful bow by the way - I love the pearl edging!) and can't tell - are you able to smooth out the edges completely? Would this work with a square board? Thanks icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

I smooth the edges with my fondant smoother. Press firmly on the edges so that you can see the edge of the cake drum thru the fondant. Take a angled spatula or knife and cut the flap you created by smoothing.

I have never done this on a square cake before. I think you would be able to. With a square cake you probably can cut four long stips and attach them all seperatly. There would be a seem at each corner. I have seen this on other cakes before. The boards look amazing, even with the seems.

HTH
=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%