Need Help With Long Stem Roses ....

Sugar Work By jaitee69 Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm by sandy1

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:57am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone - I need some help with a mold I've been struggling with for the last few years. It is the long stem rose mold. I do choclates all the time and never have this problem, and quite frankly, I'm disgusted with myself for not being able to figure out the best way to do this!!

The mold itself is deep, the rose is closed, and it has 2 leaves that sprout off the green base of the flower. I can't fill the flower part of the mold without it leaking into the base and leaf part - I can't fill the base and leaf part without it leaking into the flower part. I have tried half filling the rose, then filling the base and leaf, the filling the rest of the rose, but it ends up with a line on the side of the rose indicating the separation. I have painted the base and leaf, then filled the rose, but the color of the rose has to fill in the rest of the base and leaf on the back for stability so that the leaves don't fall off - so from the back it's all one color. Am I making sense?

Does anyone else do these roses? and if so, have you come up with some ingenious way to do this that I'm just not seeing? With Valentines day coming up, I know I'm gonna get bombarded with rose orders and I'd like to not be pulling my hair out anymore than normal!!

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Thanks - Deanna

7 replies
jaitee69 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:27am
post #2 of 8

anyone? please?

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry I cannot help but I will give you another Bump.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 8

Hi Deanna,
I used to do these with I had GS troops and they were a pain. (came down to me doing it icon_lol.gif )What I ended up doing was do the green part first by coating the leaf and base area and letting it set up for a moment. Then I would pour the rose color over the whole thing, the back would be one color and the front would be the two different ones. I am not sure what you mean by a line... if its an air line a tap will help you out. If it's a color line than make the stem/leaf area more heavily covered. I hope I am making sense..lol

I actually looked at one from a chocolatiers place and the coloring was only painted or skim coated on the front, the rest was the color of the rose.

Hope this helps and maybe if you posted a pic of where it is separating it would give us a better idea.

icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitee69

Hey everyone - I need some help with a mold I've been struggling with for the last few years. It is the long stem rose mold. I do choclates all the time and never have this problem, and quite frankly, I'm disgusted with myself for not being able to figure out the best way to do this!!

The mold itself is deep, the rose is closed, and it has 2 leaves that sprout off the green base of the flower. I can't fill the flower part of the mold without it leaking into the base and leaf part - I can't fill the base and leaf part without it leaking into the flower part. I have tried half filling the rose, then filling the base and leaf, the filling the rest of the rose, but it ends up with a line on the side of the rose indicating the separation. I have painted the base and leaf, then filled the rose, but the color of the rose has to fill in the rest of the base and leaf on the back for stability so that the leaves don't fall off - so from the back it's all one color. Am I making sense?

Does anyone else do these roses? and if so, have you come up with some ingenious way to do this that I'm just not seeing? With Valentines day coming up, I know I'm gonna get bombarded with rose orders and I'd like to not be pulling my hair out anymore than normal!!

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Thanks - Deanna

Does is matter that the rose is all one color from the back? The back shouldn't be visible, right?

I think you could brush the green candy into the mold, in layers, so when you've finished, it's angled. In other words, thicker at the bottom of the mold, thinner where it meets the rose.

Just brush on some green candy to coat the mold, pop it in the frig for a few minutes, brush a little more green on, building it up slightly toward the bottom of the mold and leaving a thinner coat on the rose side. Pop in frig, repeat until the bottom of the mold is completely filled with green. Then, when you add the rose color, you won't have to fill ALL the way to the bottom of the mold, but the rose color will overlap the green, just a little, so the finished piece won't break in half.

I hope that made sense!

jaitee69 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:31am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your input everyone! Well, I guess if the fancy chocolatiers are doing it that way, then it's okay! That's the way I did my last batch, only painting on the leaves and the rest was the color of the rose. I do chocolate molds all the time - trying to get my business started! - and this is one of, if not THE, most difficult mold to work with. BUT the roses look gorgeous when they're done right.

I guess this will be the way I'll do it. It is the easiest, but I didn't know how people would feel about the back being all one color. Thanks again for all your help!!! I LOVE this place!!

Deanna

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8

HI
I MADE LONG STEM FLOWERS AND MAY I SAY THATS DOES FLOWER MOLDS ARE
NOT THE RIGHT ONE TO USE
THANK U

FLOWERGEL

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 8

I have made the long stem roses before and I painted the leaves first and let them set for awhile then did another coating of the green and let it set. I then fill the rest of the mold with the color chocolate that was required for the occasion. The backs are all one color to no ones dismay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%