Can I Just Add Tylose To My Fondant?

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm by Rylan

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

I usually sculpt with a 50/50 mixture of fondant/gumpaste. I don't feel like making gumpaste today as I don't have all the ingredients on hand, but I do have tylose.

I think I've read somewhere here that you can just add some tylose to the fondant. (of course, I can't get the search feature to cooperate)

Does this make the fondant harden better? How much tylose do I need to add to say a 4oz piece of fondant?

TIA...I appreciate your help!

5 replies
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 6

Of course deb, I do it all the time. I never really measure how much tylose I add. One indication I use is when it pull both apart, it separates withouth the stickiness--not sure how to explain it.

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks RylanTy!

What benefit does the tylose add? I mean will it help my pieces harden or keep shape better then if I just used fondant alone?

I'm sculpting the 3 little mice from Cinderella.

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 6

Exactly. Once I put tylose on fondant, I'll call it gumpaste. You will usually see a huge difference in the consistency once it has set for about an hour or so but I always it right away.

Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

OK, awesome.....I just mixed some in and I can definitely tell the difference in texture already.

This is a LOT easier then making both fondant and gumpaste. Man, why does it take me 25 yrs to figure these things out!! Ughhhhhh!!!

Thank you so much RylanTY!

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

hehehe.

No problem and good luck. =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%