Cake Delivery Sign... Feedback?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm by loriemoms

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 20

At the request of my husband, I spent some time this morning designing a sign for cake deliveries. It's such a stressful task and he's tired of having people on our bumper making the delivery even more difficult.

The sign is for personal cakes I do for family and friends as anything I do for the bakery is delivered by them. So... not really anything in the way of advertising. It's more just so people BACK OFF!

What do you think?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422817&done=1

19 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 20

Really cute sign, my husband has also said we need one but I am worried about those people/kids that think it would be funny to try and make us stop fast knowing we have a cake on board. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I may have to rethink this if you have good luck with it.

indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 20

In our philosophy of "we keep it simple"...... icon_biggrin.gif

I tear a file folder in half and in black magic marker, write "Caution! Wedding Cake delivery in progress!" Tape it in the back window.

I never considered the idea that someone would think it's funny to try to cut me off. Never had it happen either.

cylstrial Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 20

I think it's very cute! And I really like the wording.

Just make sure that you look to see how much flat space that you have on the back of the car. I got a car magnet made cause I do cakes free cakes for my family (even though they are free and it's just a hobby, I still want my cakes to get there nicely). Anyway, the magnet was too big for the flat spots on the back of my SUV. So I can't even use it because the wind would tear it off, since it doesn't sit completely flat.

MrsMabe Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 20

I like it. I like that you didn't ask anyone to be cautious. The type of person who would cut you off to be "funny" would be more likely to do so if your sign requested that they not do so. But just letting people know that you're delivering a cake and will be going slow isn't as tempting to those types. Would you mind if I create a very similar sign? It's very cute.

CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 20

Go for it!

Mensch Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 20

It's cute, but a little too much so. I don't think it would be visible enough.

My sign reads, plain and simple:

Wedding cake on board

Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 20

get it blown up.

laminate it

put on magnetic backing...

then SELL it! --- great sideline income!


------

EXCELLENT!

(and great sense of humor too!)

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #9 of 20

I would change the font. Too curly if you want to GET YOUR POINT ACROSS! Hee hee...not yelling, and certainly not saying to do all caps, but a more "eye friendly" font, perhaps?

Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I would change the font. Too curly if you want to GET YOUR POINT ACROSS! Hee hee...not yelling, and certainly not saying to do all caps, but a more "eye friendly" font, perhaps?




respectfully disagreeing.

the font at the size planned and at the distance it will be read from, it will work just fine.

what is really out of proportion and hard to see is the bakery logo in the lower right corner.

CakeInfatuation Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 20

My logo is there because I thought it should link back to me if someone is curious. But I didn't want to "advertise" with it.

I'm not licensed to do cakes from home. My blog should come up if they do a search on my name. However.... my blog does send the general public to the bakery I work at.

Thanks guys! I am doing a wedding cake in early August and it will be the largest cake I ever had to deliver. My husband WANTS this sign. ha ha

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #12 of 20

That is a great idea although I prefer if you kept the words simple. I know of a lot of people who wouldn't understand what "Cake in Transit" means. Try, what Indydebi suggested. Make it straight forward.

Classycakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #13 of 20

I use a scrolling LED sign that is also a frame for my license plate. The words scroll by "CAUTION....SLOW DRIVER......WEDDING CAKE ON BOARD...... WEBSITE" It's great because the driver behind me becomes aware of why I'm slowing for bumps or turns. When the delivery is over, I then change the message to advertise my business. I also put on seasonal messages such as "Merry Christmas from Classy Cakes". I've had really positive feedback from it.

Of course, if my husband is driving (without cakes on board!) and he's driving like a MAN icon_rolleyes.gif , then I can turn the sign off because sometimes you really don't want anyone to know who you are!!! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I use a scrolling LED sign that is also a frame for my license plate. The words scroll by "CAUTION....SLOW DRIVER......WEDDING CAKE ON BOARD...... WEBSITE" It's great because the driver behind me becomes aware of why I'm slowing for bumps or turns. When the delivery is over, I then change the message to advertise my business. I also put on seasonal messages such as "Merry Christmas from Classy Cakes". I've had really positive feedback from it.

Of course, if my husband is driving (without cakes on board!) and he's driving like a MAN icon_rolleyes.gif , then I can turn the sign off because sometimes you really don't want anyone to know who you are!!! icon_lol.gif





Whoa! That sounds pretty cool. But I have a feeling it's expensive. How much did it cost (if you don't mind to share)?

Classycakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 20

It was actually really reasonable. We bought it at Canadian Tire here in Newfoundland and the normal price is $49.95 but I got it on sale for $39.95. I'm sure any automotive type store carries them. It comes with a little remote that you run the different banners and you turn it on and off with your vehicle lights. It's really cool!

cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

It was actually really reasonable. We bought it at Canadian Tire here in Newfoundland and the normal price is $49.95 but I got it on sale for $39.95. I'm sure any automotive type store carries them. It comes with a little remote that you run the different banners and you turn it on and off with your vehicle lights. It's really cool!




That's not bad at all! Thanks for sharing!! If I ever get into this big time, I'll have to get one of those!

CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #17 of 20

Okay... for those of you who asked, the sign is now on e-bay for your to purchase for yourself minus any type of logo so it's just a delivery sign

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120455212344


I've got the listing active for 7 days. Then I'll re-think whether or not I'll make it available again.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In our philosophy of "we keep it simple"...... icon_biggrin.gif

I tear a file folder in half and in black magic marker, write "Caution! Wedding Cake delivery in progress!" Tape it in the back window.

I never considered the idea that someone would think it's funny to try to cut me off. Never had it happen either.




Debi, I think there's a market for these and you could make a handy profit.

icon_lol.gif

Hey, you could get different color file folders too!

QVC is calling...

Hoosier ingenuity--love it!

mommabuda Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 20

I have a vinyl sticker on the back of my van of a tiered cake. I just figured people would "get it" if we were driving really slow.

loriemoms Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I use a scrolling LED sign that is also a frame for my license plate. The words scroll by "CAUTION....SLOW DRIVER......WEDDING CAKE ON BOARD...... WEBSITE" It's great because the driver behind me becomes aware of why I'm slowing for bumps or turns. When the delivery is over, I then change the message to advertise my business. I also put on seasonal messages such as "Merry Christmas from Classy Cakes". I've had really positive feedback from it.

Of course, if my husband is driving (without cakes on board!) and he's driving like a MAN icon_rolleyes.gif , then I can turn the sign off because sometimes you really don't want anyone to know who you are!!! icon_lol.gif




I wanted to get one of those, but our state is going to ban license plate frames next year. (some cover expiration dates and such on the plate and we have those traffic light cameras that many frame covers hide the license plate number from when the photo is taken)

I dont like to put up a sign a wedding is on board...people always tail gate us..sometimes to try to see the cake in the back of the van!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%