Question About Covering In Ganache

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 8:08pm by Rylan

brian1974 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

what kind of white chocolate do people use when making a white chocolate ganache ?
Im making a vanilla sponge cake with hazelnut/chocolate buttercreme filling, this will then be covered in white fondant.
i was going to use plain vanilla buttercreme to dirty ice it, but i like the idea that i have read o n here to use ganache instead.

Also does it mean the cake will have to be refridgerated or can it be covered and left out in a cool room?

8 replies
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 9

I believe ganache can be left in room temperature but I prefer to refrigerate all my cakes. As for white chocolate, you can use regular white morsels/chips. In case it doesn't harden as much because of the quality of the chocolate, just add more chocolate.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 9

Ratio for white chocolate ganache is 3:1

brian1974 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

RylanTy you refridgerate your fondant cakes as well?
you have a proffesional refridgerator or regular -
i was on the understanding that fondant cakes should only be refridgerated if the fillings were perishable?

what is the common way for the ganache to be applied to the cake to cover it?

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 9

Yes I do refrigerate my cakes !00% of the time. I have a regular refrigerator just for cakes and storing baking ingredients.

It really depends. I never had problems with condensation, yet some people do.

I apply ganache just like buttercream. Since the cake usually shrinks or is slightly smaller than the board, I usually use the board as the guide for how thick the ganache is (am I making sense?). You can smoothen it with a spatula dipped in hot water, wiping the water immidiately and smooth the cake.

brian1974 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

Hi Rylan thanks for the reply,

one more question, and yes you are making sense...
Ive seen on some cakes that they do a small covering of buttercream, then cover it in ganache and then the fondant, have you ever done this and does it make any difference?

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 9

You mean a crumbcoat of buttercream? When I make ganache covered cakes, I only use ganache to cover the whole cake and then fondant.

I have never heard of anyone cover a cake with a thin layer of buttercream and then ganache after. Just use straight up ganache and it works fine.

brian1974 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 9

yes i guess it was a crumcoat

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 9

No you don't need a crumbcoat of buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%