Color Flow On Cookies?

Baking By AXOCutie143 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm by AXOCutie143

AXOCutie143 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 23

I've been doing a lot of cakes and cupcakes lately, but I would also like to try some decorated cookies. I had a question for those of you who use Color Flow on cookies:

Is there something you add to the Color Flow recipe to make it taste better? I'm worried about the taste, but I don't want to alter the recipe and have the CF not harden properly.

22 replies
Kitcake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 23

I add a teaspoon of Clear Vanilla and one of almond.

icer101 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 23

look up... antonia74 ... user name on this site.. and follow her links to decorating cookies.. i think she is the cookie queen on this site.. or you can p/m her.. hth

mrsclox Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 23

I just use thinned royal icing. It tastes better and you don't have to buy the color flow.

nicki9774 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 23

Add an extract flavor of your choice, obviously you don't want to use anything that has any grease try substance.

mgwebb68 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 23

Use Antonia74's royal icing recipe and thin it out to the consistency that you want. It tastes good, and I've never had any problems using it. I make it a day or so ahead of when I need it so that it can sit and rest, then I just separate it out, thin it to where I need it, and color it.

BakeLoveMom Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 23

I've tried all sorts of cookie stuff, and the combination that gets people raving and only crumbs left is to use penny's cookie recipe and rolled fondant/buttercream, detailed with RI.

Good news, they are faster this way too. Both those recipes are on here... I like using the rolled buttercream fondant because I put it on as the cookies come out of the oven. Then they only take a little while to cool and i can start my details.

Hope that helps,
Sarah

Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 23

I also use Penny's recipe exclusively.....IT ROCK'S........I do add some different emulsions to flavor it up some, but other then that her recipe is great.

I use a "glace" type icing. Personally I don't like color flow or royal icing for icing the entire cookie.

Lita829 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 23

In the past, I've tried color flow on cookies and it didn't taste too good. I now use thinned royal icing with various juices or flavorings, depending on what type of cookie is underneath.

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #10 of 23

I also love the fondant with RI decorations. I used to use the MMF but it was such a pain to make....then I started having to use it on cakes so I order the Satin Ice and it tastes so good, I can't believe it. Even my husband who HATES MF likes it.

If fondant isn't for you, I would try the tip about thinned RI for flooding.

*******Sarah & Deb: Does Penny's recipe spread? I have had the worst luck with cookies spreading. I used to use the NFSC but it tastes kinda blech and still, even with the chilling and freezng the trays prior to baking - well, it still spread. I chilled the dough, I was careful not to overmix......I prayed ~ nothing worked, lol. thx

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #11 of 23

I also love the fondant with RI decorations. I used to use the MMF but it was such a pain to make....then I started having to use it on cakes so I order the Satin Ice and it tastes so good, I can't believe it. Even my husband who HATES MF likes it.

*******Sarah & Deb: Does Penny's recipe spread? I have had the worst luck with cookies spreading. I used to use the NFSC but it tastes kinda blech and still, even with the chilling and freezng the trays prior to baking - well, it still spread. I chilled the dough, I was careful not to overmix......I prayed ~ nothing worked, lol. thx

Elise87 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:43am
post #12 of 23

Antonia74's RI all the way! It tastes great as it is if you don't add flavoring or if you do and works perfectly for flooding cookies, i use it all the time thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:43am
post #13 of 23

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #14 of 23

For the love of God.......I didn't mean to post that 4 times!! Sorry icon_redface.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #15 of 23

Penny's recipe has very minimal spreadage........SPREADAGE....is that even a word? LOL!!

You don't have to chill it, but usually I have half in the fridge as I'm cutting out the other half. I haven't noticed any difference in baking the chilled dough as opposed to the unchilled.

HTH

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #16 of 23

dkelly: thanks!! And yes, I absolutely think spreadage is a word. icon_lol.gif

tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #17 of 23

I like to decorate cookies with a glace' icing also. It is easy to work with and dries shiny. My royal has been gritty in the past and dries very matt. I like the glace'. It keeps the cookies moist too.

AXOCutie143 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #18 of 23

What is "glace", exactly? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm new at this icon_wink.gif

tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #19 of 23

Not a stupid question at all. I used it for a long time before I knew that is what it is called. It is a very simple frosting made with powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and corn syrup. I'll look up my recipe.

asmith Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #20 of 23

Toba Garrett's glace is on here I believe, it's very easy to work with and tastes great.

tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:42pm
post #21 of 23

I couldn't find Toba's glace on this site. The search in recipies doesn't work very well. Here is what I use. I think it is basically the same.

1 lb. powdered sugar
3/8 c milk
3/8 c light corn syrup
1 tsp extract of your choice

Just mix it all together. Thin with corn syrup if necessary. Takes a while to dry but the results are worth it. HTH

BakeLoveMom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #22 of 23

No, there isn't any noticable spreading with Pennys and I love that I don't have to freeze it...saves oooodles of time. I like using the rolled buttercream fondant recipe because the flavor is awsome, it is automatically the same shape and size, and I can start my details right away. Saves a day on drying time as opposed to RI so my cookies are fresher. It dries hard enough to bag individually too. Good luck.

Sarah

AXOCutie143 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #23 of 23

I just googled for some pictures using glace with cookies and they look AWESOME! I will definitely have to try that soon! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%