Decorating Suggestions

Decorating By sheenaevans Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm by vickymacd

sheenaevans Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 9

I'm decorating a cake for my boyfriend's sister, and I'd like to do it in the shape of a book, because she just recently wrote a book.
I'm going to wrap fondant around it for the cover (think that's a good idea?)

But I'm not sure how to do the cover. I want it to look like this http://www.lulu.com/content/2587791
But I don't really know how! I was thinking of doing a buttercream transfer, and just doing the colors, no detail (ex: the trees and grass, etc) just the pink fading into the purple.

Any suggestions please!
Thanks!

8 replies
divaessence Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 9

I would suggest painting a wash on the fondant of purple and pink. Mix some clear vanilla with your gel or powder decorating colors and paint them on with a brush. There are many tutorials online.

I hope that helps. I am new to decorating, too ... so someone may have better advice. But, that's what I would do.

Good luck!

sheenaevans Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

that sounds like a good idea!
Will the color run through the MMF fondant though?

divaessence Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 9

Just don't make it sopping wet. The alcohol in the extract will let the color flow easily and will dry quicker than water.

tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

You can also mix the food colors with vodka. It will not seep throught he fondant. It is a lot like painting with watercolors.

tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

Oh, and wrapping the cake with fondant like a book cover is a good idea icon_smile.gif That is how I did the book in my photos. It worked great.

alanaj Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

What a beautiful book cover! I would do the same as the others have said; paint right on the fondant. I use Americolor airbrush colors because I find them easier to paint with.

Also, here is a link to a thread about book cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628199.html

Hope that link works...first time I've tried that!

vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 9

alanaj~thank you for posting that site. I must have missed that one!
Yes, I agree with everyone else on the technique. Just be careful with the vodka. If it goes outside of the area you want I can see a slight 'stain' from my experience with it. But the alcohol dries fast which is why it is recommended. Good luck.

vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 9

alanaj~thank you for posting that site. I must have missed that one!
Yes, I agree with everyone else on the technique. Just be careful with the vodka. If it goes outside of the area you want I can see a slight 'stain' from my experience with it. But the alcohol dries fast which is why it is recommended. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%