Tall Single Tier - Support System?

Decorating By poshcakedesigns Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm by Rylan

poshcakedesigns Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 4

I need some tips from anyone that has done this.

I have a bride that is wanting her bottom tier of her cake to be 8 inches tall -the next tier will be 4 inches and the top 8 inches tall again.

My question is - for the 8 inch tall tiers would I need to add a cake board between the 4 inches and then ice or just put all 4 cakes together. If that makes sense (I'll have 2 inches of cake for each cake making it 8 inches tall in total for 1 tier) I'm just concerned that having 8 inches of cake stacked on each other would not be a good thing and that I should add a support to the middle of the 8 inch tall tiers?

3 replies
MrsMabe Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 4

I've read on here that you should add support every 4 inches. Otherwise the weight of all that cake could cause it to collapse on itself.

Bellatheball Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

I would definately put dowels in the bottom two layers and then put a cake board down before you do the top two layers of the tier. I tried to get away with three 2 inch layers this weekend and they really settled.

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 4

I've done it without any support and didn't have any problems. I do however suggest you dowel and use a cardboard in the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%