How To Pull Out Center Dowel Dowel??

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm by ZlatkaT

ZlatkaT Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 11

How do you dis-amble 3 tier cake before serving if it has center dowel in it? I just made my practice cake, drive around the town to see how it goes, then invited neighbors for the cake to take away and was pretty embarrassed to dig for the center dowel out, I made the cake a mess. icon_redface.gif
What is the step by step to disample 3 tier cake? I cannot imagine it.

10 replies
Mencked Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 11

Just cut the cake....After the first tier is gone, you can just pull the dowel out of the bottom two. If they want to save the top tier, I'd just add the top tier at the site. I admit it looks a little freaky when you pull that pointy dowel out of the middle of the cake and walk menacingly with it to the nearest trashcan amongst well-dressed wedding guests, but they know it's just me the crazy cake lady icon_smile.gif.....

indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 11

I always cut my cakes by cutting the largest tiers first.

To remove the top tier, just slide your spatula under the top tier cake's cardboard and lift it up and off of the dowel. THe dowel is now exposed and sticking up at least 2-3". Just grab it and pull it out.

If they are saving the top tier, this enables you to remove the cake without cutting it up first.

Easy Peasy.

ZlatkaT Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 11

So, you actually cut the cake assembled from top to bottom?? I though that all the tiers should be apart when cutting the cake??

Toptier Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 11

I pull the dowel out with (clean) needle-nose pliers that I keep in my repair kit.

jardot22 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 11

The easiest way for me is to first remove each tier by sliding the spatula underneath and lifting up and off the dowel, as indydebi explained. Do this for each tier, and then you can cut them individually.

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 11

I also slide the spatula underneath the top tier and lift it up. Once that has been done, I can pull the center dowel off.

ZlatkaT Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 11

That makes sense now. Thank you!!!
I still working on my skills to handle each tier cake - it is not easy for me to hold the cake, so I hope after baking a few I will got it icon_smile.gif

Mencked Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 11

One more thing--it is just fine to cut the cake while the tiers are still assembled. I think Indy always cuts the largest layers first because it's easier to send home the smaller tiers if there's cake left over. Whatever works best for you is just fine icon_smile.gif!!

PinkZiab Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 11

I don't dig the dowel out (my center dowels are fixed to the bottom board)... I lift the tiers off the dowel and then cut each tier individually (starting with the largest tier).

ZlatkaT Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all!!! This is such a great place, love CCers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%