Chocolate Ganache?

Decorating By jedah Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 10:20am by jedah

jedah Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

hi guys! i just want to ask you if u have encountered a recipe or have done a recipe of chocolate ganache with GELATIN on it?

i have seen someone (but not clear..it was too fast, the video was skipping scenes all thru out, maybe he doesnt want to reveal his secrets! hehe!) made a chocolate cake then made a chocolate ganache which he added gelatin to it then poured the ganache to the cake...the end result was a very shiny and very smooth finish of the cake. Do u guys know how he made this? have u encountered such method?

Also..having said this...i wanted to ask how to properly frost a cake using chocolate ganache? as i said above..it was poured on the cake..how exactly is this done? it would obviously drip on the side of the cake? it would create mess right? and would the chocolate adhere to the cake knowing it is running on the sides of the cake? And if ever...how would i get or transfer my cake back to my cake board after doing this?

Sori for the long question...it just puzzles me how the guy on tv did this...and with all the skipping and fast scenes..it was very confusing..

Hope u can help me on this! thanks!

icon_smile.gif

4 replies
minicuppie Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 5

Pouring glazes and icings are a skill set that needs to be practiced....and I would also like to see that recipe. Anyone?

Gingoodies Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing a ganache recipe using gelatin. I use a 2:1 Chocolate/cream recipe. Poured ganache is just that.. a liquid pouring icing. Most of the time you would want to cover your entire cake, so the dripping is really not an issue with that. I put my cakes on a cardboard a little smaller than the cake. Place a cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Put your cake on the cooling rack and pour the ganache over the cake. Let the excess drip off and refridgerate the cake to set the ganache. If you are looking to just do the top of the cake, you would have to let the ganache set up a little bit (so it is thicker, but not too thick). I would pipe a border around the top edge of the cake and then pour the ganache onto the top. I usually frost my cake with buttercream before pouring the ganache. (usually chocolate). Some people frost the entire cake with a nice buttercream and then pour the ganache and actually allow the drips to run down the sides. (I love that look!) You would want the ganache a little thicker for this also, so the sides are not completely covered.

Mickey17 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

I have used gelatin in my 1:1 ganache and then whipped it. The general principle was to create a more stabilized whipped cream effect, but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about.

Ganache should be shiny and a lovely finish even without the gelatin.

jedah Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:20am
post #5 of 5

thanks for the reply guys! i keep all the tips in mind! thanks again!

Godbless! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%