Painting On Fondant

Decorating By jen-E Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:22am by beck30

jen-E Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen-E Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 13

I need to paint on fondant for an upcoming, Very Important 4th birthday. I don't have access to cocoa butter. Is there a substitute? What would be the best alternative? Can one use paste colours or are the powdered colours the best?

Thanks. I just joined the site - fabulous.

12 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 13

Hi welcome to CC!

Sure you can paint on fondant with paste colours, i use them to paint stuff all the time. What I do is dilute the paste colours a tiny bit with vodka to make them more sort of a paint and it dries completely with a matt finish but you only need a tiny bit of vodka because it can become very watercoloury otherwise unless that is what you want.

I have painted a picture on gumpaste with paste colours which you can look at in my photo gallery if you like to see what it can look like.

Also if you don't want to use vodka you can use vanilla extract or lemon juice.

Oh and i have heard that powdered colours are really good too, and you might get a stronger colour with them

HTH icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much for the info Elise87! I love to hear great tips before I'm panicky with an order that I'm trying to finish icon_smile.gif Your work is beautiful!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 13

I use americolor gel colors straight out of the bottle to paint on fondant and royal icing all the time. here are a few examples so you can see how they paint
LL
LL
LL
LL

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 13

Hey jen-E,
I use liquid airbrush colors to paint with. It already thined out and looks like water color. If you are wanting something more bright and full bodied KHalstead is right Americolor will give you a good full bodied color.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 13

I love the one stroke painting technique, I could never quite get it though I'm more of a water color girl and my style is more loose, but I love it none the less and I've never seen it on a cake, great job!

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 13

My problem is finding good paint brushes. Have bought several kinds. Can't find any that have a fine point. Also have some that want to loose the bristles. Where do you get your paint brushes?....not trying to steal the thread. icon_smile.gif

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 13

alene,
Don't know what kind of brushes you use but i use artist brushes that i found in the painting section of a hobby store like for oil painting. The really good ones.
Thanks,
Mrcake01

Elise87 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Thanks so much for the info Elise87! I love to hear great tips before I'm panicky with an order that I'm trying to finish icon_smile.gif Your work is beautiful!

thank-u! Oh also i'll add in that you can also get the americolor bright white which is like an edible white paint (also can tint buttercream etc with to lighten it) and i mix that with my gel pastes to get softer or darker pastel colours which is what i did with my last cake so is great if you ever need to do that.

I buy brushes that artists might use for guache paintings and oil paintings etc just the ones with the very soft bristles cose they are good quality.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 13

Hey Elise87, you know I adore you paintings on cake, I was just wondering if you meant lemon extract to dilute the color or can you use lemon juice as well?

Elise87 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #11 of 13

aw thanks juststarted! icon_smile.gif

Ummmm well i think people have used both. Some people have said lemon juice but a few people on another thread i read said that they used the lemon extract too so maybe that is the one to go for. I wasn't 100% sure cose all i use is the vodka, I buy just a cute little miniature bottle of it from my liquor store lol

Oh forgot to add that when using the lemon ones someone said it leaves a little bit of lemon taste after it's dried

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #12 of 13

if and when i paint on cakes or cookies.. some cookies in my pics.. i use the one stroke method by donna dewberry.. i use americolor gels, etc.. mixed with the white.. it is fun..

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #13 of 13

I use absolute vodka and gel colors. Thanks for the tip on paint brushes. I have trouble with the bristles falling out. Also I was wondering what the one stroke method?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%