Unprofessional B&b Experience....had Me Seeing Red

Business By sparklynne Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm by Carolynlovescake

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:43am
post #1 of 10

This is somewhat of a vent and also to find out if anyone else has had this issue and how they would handle it. Sorry if this is a bit long...
I booked a wedding cake over a year ago with a terrific couple. They paid timely and were a dream come true to work with. I made my sketches up and they approved them all was a go.. I had to drive the cake 6+ hours to get to their venue... which was a beautiful B&B right off the ocean in Newport Oregon. I made certain I left early so that I could get there on time and set up and out of the way. I had a 3 tier cake with sugar shells and sugar driftwood and some sugar floral edible sand etc. (in my pictures.. or should be .. uploading now) I packed my shells and sand and floral all seperate to make the trip down there and planned to add them when I set up the cake. I arrived and entered the b&b dressed in my chef jacket and apron with my business name on it clearly there to make a delivery. I waited for several minutes as I was being deliberately ignored by staff who just did not want to deal with me. I finally get to speak to whom I can only assume is the owner as she never introduced herself. I explain I am there to set up the " " family wedding cake and she says ok.. and so I proceed to ask her where I should begin to set it up. She then points me to a marble bar that measures maybe a foot and 1/2 by 4 foot long, that has a wedding license and some other very important paper work. As the rest of my staff and helpers come in with various parts .. stand, cakes etc. I begin to set the cakes and the stand to one end away from the paperwork and she (owner lady) runs up to me and says.. "you know what?!.. we make wedding cakes here too... just give me the stuff and I will finish the cake!" Then she sets this poodle she has been carrying down and reaches into my supplies box and grabs a handful of my sugar shells and says.. "What are these?.. chocolate?" and drops them all back into the box! I looked a little something like this icon_mad.gif So.. even though I was trying to keep my cool I turned to my helper and said.. I do not believe the lack of professionalism here. icon_evil.gif I know I should have probably kept my mouth shut but I was sooo angry! I chased her down across the room and told her that if she was not ready for the cake I would be more than happy to bring it back when she had the table ready and was more prepared for me and packed everything up and came back an hour later to set up again.. all the while being scowled at by herself and her staff. Has anyone ever had such a thing happen? I was truly shocked and am still burning over this one. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif I would have glady came back at a later time if she was needing more time and would have said so from the start.. This is my first one of these and I am curious if I am going to run into more of these scenarios in the future.

9 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:04am
post #2 of 10

not sure I clarified... I did NOT yell at this woman or behave nasty towards her at all and I did politely tell her I would come back later to set up the cake and I did... I just wished that she had told me from the start that she was not ready instead of telling me to set up on the bar and also wish that she had not touched my clients sugar pieces without hand washing or gloves and was really amazed that she would think she could take over putting my cake together when the only thing she had to go by was 3 coronelli iced cakes and boxes of sugar pieces.... just set me off a bit.

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't had anything like that happen, but I did have a security guard at a venue tell me he thought my cascading cakes would look better positioned differently. I politely thanked him for his input and informed him that I was setting them up the way the couple asked for them and he left me alone. He was the only person there though so I made sure I took a picture of the cakes in case he decided to move them where he thought they looked best after I left icon_biggrin.gif They watch one episode of Ace of Cakes and everyone is a cake decorator icon_lol.gif I would say in the future that if this happens I would probably just respond that you are responsible for all of your cakes until they are finished so you can't allow someone else to set them up as that isn't part of your contract with the bride.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 10

Her: (touching shells)
Me: "What the hell are you doing?????!!!!!!!!"

I have used phrases such as "Touch that and die" and "I have a knife in my hand .... I wouldn't enter my space right now".

I mean, geesh, it's "just a cake"! icon_eek.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 10

I would have had a very hard time controlling my foot just itching to kick her in the shin for touching the shells!!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

I would have had a very hard time controlling my foot just itching to kick her in the shin for touching the shells!!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

My aim would have been a little higher. icon_rolleyes.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

My aim would have been a little higher. icon_rolleyes.gif

That's funny Indy!! I was just trying to restrain myself. icon_lol.gif
Actually the words that would have come out of my mouth probably would have gotten me arrested. tapedshut.gif Even my kids and DH know not to touch my cake things! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Her: (touching shells)
Me: "What the hell are you doing?????!!!!!!!!"

Oh yeah, that would have been out of my mouth before she actually made contact with them. The nerve! icon_mad.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 10

The fact that she touched them AFTER holding a dog is SO GROSS! I would have been very professionally BLUNT. Sounds like she was mad, cause she didn't get to do the wedding cake. I think I would let the bride know after the event.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

The fact that she touched them AFTER holding a dog is SO GROSS! I would have been very professionally BLUNT. Sounds like she was mad, cause she didn't get to do the wedding cake. I think I would let the bride know after the event.

LOL I now which B&B you are talking about!

I don't think letting the bride know would be productive at this point and I'd just leave her out of it.

Consider it a notch on you decorator belt and keep that venue name handy so you can remember not to return there. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%