I Can't Believe I Baked The Wrong Size Cake!!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:40am
post #1 of 6

So I got back from work a couple of days ago (I work at a hospital and had a 30-hour call) and was trying to throw together my youngest munchkin's birthday cake for the next day. I had baked all but the last 10 inch layer (three tiers: 10, 8 and 6) for the bottom tier, so I threw some cake batter together and popped it in the oven. It unmolded perfectly, and I was gearing up for a long night of decorating, when I realized ... I'd baked a 12-in. cake instead!! Fortunately it wasn't for anybody but me, so I quickly carved a 10in out of the 12 in, and made do .... but boy! Did I feel dumb!

Anyhow! All in good fun .... cake turned out fine (I'll post pictures later). But this is exactly why I don't make any life-altering decision (no buying cars or deciding to have more kids, for example) when I'm post-call. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

When I read the subject line - I thought Oh no! So I'm really glad that it was just for your son and it worked out. Can't wait to see pictures!!

ShanB Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

at least you didn't bake a too small cake! glad you could just cut it down to size, my luck I would have baked another 8 in....

emiyeric Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

Okay, here's the picture! It took me a couple of days to post, but here we go ...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1424286

-Emi.

3GCakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 6

No doubt....I'd much rather bake a too BIG cake than too small. Atleast my happy family will happily eat the happy leftovers.

I still have a hard time determining the size of a pan just by looking at it. Still have to look on the bottom and squint or use my ruler.

emiyeric Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

It's nice to see I'm not the only this has happened to! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%