I Can't Believe I Baked The Wrong Size Cake!!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm by emiyeric

emiyeric  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:40am
post #1 of 6

So I got back from work a couple of days ago (I work at a hospital and had a 30-hour call) and was trying to throw together my youngest munchkin's birthday cake for the next day. I had baked all but the last 10 inch layer (three tiers: 10, 8 and 6) for the bottom tier, so I threw some cake batter together and popped it in the oven. It unmolded perfectly, and I was gearing up for a long night of decorating, when I realized ... I'd baked a 12-in. cake instead!! Fortunately it wasn't for anybody but me, so I quickly carved a 10in out of the 12 in, and made do .... but boy! Did I feel dumb!

Anyhow! All in good fun .... cake turned out fine (I'll post pictures later). But this is exactly why I don't make any life-altering decision (no buying cars or deciding to have more kids, for example) when I'm post-call. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
 cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

When I read the subject line - I thought Oh no! So I'm really glad that it was just for your son and it worked out. Can't wait to see pictures!!

ShanB  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

at least you didn't bake a too small cake! glad you could just cut it down to size, my luck I would have baked another 8 in....

emiyeric Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

Okay, here's the picture! It took me a couple of days to post, but here we go ...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1424286

-Emi.

3GCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 6

No doubt....I'd much rather bake a too BIG cake than too small. Atleast my happy family will happily eat the happy leftovers.

I still have a hard time determining the size of a pan just by looking at it. Still have to look on the bottom and squint or use my ruler.

emiyeric Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

It's nice to see I'm not the only this has happened to! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%