Freebies And Friends

Decorating By Bohnlo Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:26am by costumeczar

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 4

I used to always bring cupcakes and cake into work when I first got back into cake decorating. They were my "test group" so to speak. Well its been some time since then and I've had people ask me to make cupcakes for special occasions. I too, fill my cupcakes, my own recipe frosting, and decorate.

On one occasion I was asked how much for 40 cupcakes decorated for a wedding shower. I told the co-worker that it would be $1 a cupcake. (I probably wasn't even breaking even, but I felt bad about charging in the beginning).

The look on her face was surprise to say the least. She told me the next day, that they had decided to go another route (the route straight to Wal-mart).

Now I think $1 a filled , frosted, and decorated cupcake is more than worth its price. After the same situation happened a second time, I stopped even telling people that I bake.

Lori

3 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Lol...thankfully I don't get this at all from the coworkers. But then they know this is serious stuff to me at this point. My cupcakes, which I rarely even do anyways, wouldn't go out the door from less than $3.00, and that would be a pretty simple cuppy.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 4

so the co-worker didn't want to fork out a little 40 bucks for fresh baked gourmet cupcakes for a WEDDING shower? wow! umm, I've had Wal-Mart cuppies before, ppl would have to pay me to eat those things again or I'd have to be REALLY hungry first. ugh!

Did you know that most Wal-Marts don't bake them there at the store? YEP...I asked for a couple of their mini cupcake containers (empty) for a charity event not long ago...& I was told the mini cupcakes are shipped in already in the containers like that. That they don't bake (or decorate) them there in the store.

Not sure about the regular sized ones, but the mini's...no wonder they taste old. They are! lol.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

Someone on here once posted that they'd worked at Walmart, and it was common practice to scrape the icing off of the holiday cupcakes, then re-frost them in a different color for other occasions. I can't vouch for whether that's true or not, but I've tasted Walmart cupcakes before, and I think it probably was thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%