Need Some Ideas

Decorating By evie114 Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 8:40am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

evie114 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 16

I was asked to do a cake for the 102nd birthday of lady at a local retirement community. For her birthday last year they did a "101 Dalmations" theme. What would be a good theme for the 102nd? Thanks for your help

15 replies
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #2 of 16

Everything's better the 2nd time around

IsaSW Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 16

Ask her : "what is your favorite flower", and then make a cake with 102 of that flower, her favorite color could be the background.

cutthecake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 16

I guess "Over the Hill" is out of the question................

all4cake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I guess "Over the Hill" is out of the question................

LOL!

jules5000 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 16

Yes, over the hill is definitely out of the question "cutthecake" To me it seems as though she has probably reached a second hill by now. SHe should be congratulated on making it this far in life. Not teased. I am sure she has plenty of humor for making it thus far. I thought the idea of making 102 flowers of the favorite flowers was a great idea.

all4cake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 16

102 of all of her favorite things.

The comment was funny, as I'm sure it was intended to be.

The one I just completed for a lady celebrating her 100th, no one had a clue....could you imagine...living to be 100 and no one knowing enough about you to share with the cake decorator????????? "Just make it pretty".

I swear, I couldn't thing of one thing...so, I did as many things as I could think of in the time I had. They said, "when she seen the cake she clapped her hands and giggled just like a little girl" It may have been overdone...but seriously, whotheheckcares as long as it gets a response like that, eh?

Brenda0217 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 16

Her favorite flower sounds like a wonderful idea at that age, something deliciate like that. Did she ever have a garden do you know, see what flowers she grew in that and go from there. It it were me ...I would want the delicate flowers.

Narie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 16

She was born in 1907. How about listing historical facts or trivia either from her birth year or during her lifetime? Theodore Roosevelt was President, there were only 45 states, etc. or WWI 1915 to 1918, Bombing of Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, VE Day May 1945, Sputnik I 1957, Landing on the Moon 1979, You can add satistics for 1907 - 8% of homes had a telephone. There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads. Make the cake covered with information- something for people to read and wonder at the things that have happened or changed during her life time.

Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 16

Instead of a hill, maybe you can make a mountain (maybe Mt. Everest?). Make a mountain as tall as her and make a history timeline since birth till now.

cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 16

I like the flower idea...not to go to off the subject, but a friend of mine is a at home nurse for a lady who is having a 102 birthday. The patient says to my friend "Honey, if I were you I wouldn't be praying to make it to 102...because your body starts falling apart at 101!" What a great attitude...sorry just had to share that icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 16

I think that Narie had a great idea also. I agree with the other person that said that people didn't even know what she would like on the cake. That is sad. Hopefully this woman may have someone who knows what she likes. But I think that you now have a few ideas and hopefully you have the time left to do one of them up in a great way.

Kaychell Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

She was born in 1907. How about listing historical facts or trivia either from her birth year or during her lifetime? Theodore Roosevelt was President, there were only 45 states, etc. or WWI 1915 to 1918, Bombing of Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, VE Day May 1945, Sputnik I 1957, Landing on the Moon 1979, You can add satistics for 1907 - 8% of homes had a telephone. There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads. Make the cake covered with information- something for people to read and wonder at the things that have happened or changed during her life time.

I love this idea!!!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #14 of 16

Maybe you can get some photos of her through out her life a baby, as a child, marriage, children, etc.... then do some plaques surrounded byt the flowers or EI's that are scattered around like she was looking at photos.

As for her being at an age that people dont know her, I know how this is because my grandmother is 94 and there is only 1 person alive who can remenice (SP?) about "the old days". He knew her from about 1950 but from there back, not a soul that she can chat with. She never sees or talks to my dad because my parents divorced when I was 15 and my mom died 9 years ago. Last month dad was back in CO for a reunion and took her to lunch. It was the best day she has had in a very long time.

Sox-n-Pats Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #15 of 16

My great grandmother lived to 102. She passed away when I was 22 way back in 1992. We always looked back at how everything had changed. (plus I'm a history major, so it all just kinda comes out when I'm on a roll)

from Radio shows to TV shows
from phone operators to cell phones
microwaves
air travel
space flights
moon landing
the sinking of the Titanic
the Great Depression
Civil Rights movement
Women's Suffrage Movement
Prohibition
The charleston and short skirts for the ladies
Mickey Mouse
BABE RUTH
Bonnie and Clyde
Ghandi
color photography- instant cameras, polaroids
computers
the internet
the zipper
pyrex, nonstick pans
tv dinners
the toaster
motion pictures
robots, the hula hoop, silly putty, the slinky, the frisbee,
polio vacines

If you google 20th century ___________ (people, inventions, events, music....) you'll get a whole lot more.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:40am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaychell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

I love this idea!!!!

If you don't want to write this all on the cake, type it out and get it scanned to an edible image. That way, it will be perfect (in spelling and sizing). Then just decorate with the flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%