Keeping Edible Butterflies Hard

Decorating By wonderchickens Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm by wonderchickens

wonderchickens Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and only do it as a hobby...just for family and special occasions. I made the edible butterflies ( thanks for instructions) found here. My problem is they keep becoming limp. I dried them all with the perfect wing positions I wanted and they were nice and stiff. Then after a couple of days they became moist again and limp. I know I can dry them out again but I'm afraid they will keep becoming moist. I was going to enter the cake in the local fair, but they keep them in glass enclosures and I know it will happen there. Is there anything I can "paint" on them that will keep them rock hard. Any ideas would be great. I have extra butterflies to test on. If I can't figure it out I don't think I will enter the fair. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Sox-n-Pats Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 5

what did you make them out of??

wonderchickens Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 5

They are rice paper covered with a clear gel coating on both sides.

jmchao Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 5

I made these, too, a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't ever get mine to dry hard. They remained tacky and sticky and soft despite days of being "dried". I even put them in the fridge for a few hours to try to stiffen them a bit, but nothing helped. I don't know what I did wrong!

Can piping gel go bad and not set up hard at all?

wonderchickens Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 5

jmchao,,,,,I wondered that too.I did dust mine with cornstarch after they became tacky. Just used one brush to dust in on and another to take of all the extra. It took the shine away, which I liked, and seemed to let them dry a little quicker. I just am so disappointed. I had them all nicely arranged in different stages of their wings being opened. Oh, well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%