Anyone Use Fondx W/jennifer Dontx Recipe

Decorating By justsweet Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm by Toptier

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 12

Looking to see if anyone has used Fondx with Jennifer Dontz chocolate fondant recipe and did it work for you?

For those of you who do not know about Jennifer Dontz chocolate fondant you can get with here dvd "The easy and tasty way to perfect fondant"

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001

11 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 12

I have the dvd but I haven't tried it because I could not find the suggested fondant in my area. Have you tried the original recipe?

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 12

I'm trying it on a cake this Saturday - I'll let you know how it comes out. I find Fondx really soft by itself so I am hoping that Jen's addition will firm it up a bit.

justsweet Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 12

I will be having a shipment of pettince fondant coming in but I have fondx and wanted to see how it works too.

Toptier I have a cake this weekend too and was thinking about using it. Fondx with Jennifer recipe. Fondx is soft but I really like it. If you have to color it you should do it the day before (which is better) or a least a few hours before putting it on the cake. The more you work it the more soft it will become, especially when you work color in to it (Daniel, owner of Cal Java recommends letting it rest after you add color, it will get back to texture and not be so soft)

thanks you guys, Toptier let me know how you like the fondx with Jennifer recipe

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 12

I have used Jennifer's recipe with the Pettinice fondant. I just get tired of making the recipe as it is a lot of extra work and mess. I ordered Fondx because I read so many positive reviews about it - I have not used it yet and was hoping this was the answer so I didn't have to go thorugh all of that work with Jennifer's recipe.

Did you add powdered sugar to the Fondx to make it more workable?

justsweet Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I have used Jennifer's recipe with the Pettinice fondant. I just get tired of making the recipe as it is a lot of extra work and mess. I ordered Fondx because I read so many positive reviews about it - I have not used it yet and was hoping this was the answer so I didn't have to go thorugh all of that work with Jennifer's recipe.

Did you add powdered sugar to the Fondx to make it more workable?

No you do not use powdered sugar to Fondx it will dry it out. Let I mention if you have to color it do it the day before so it can rest and will be easy to roll and put on the cake.

Fondx is all ready soft so the more you work it, it will be pliable and break when you try to put the fondant on the cake. So, as you know you knead the fondant before putting on the cake, with Fondx you should let it rest for about 30 minutes after you knead it. This way it way retain is texture back and you will not be frustrated with Fondx.

I have used it for the last three years and really like. The tips Daniel gave me helped me out a lot when using Fondx. I have also you used Satinice, which is really good too.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 12

justsweet

Thanks for the tip on how to handle the Fondx. I did not know that was what I needed to do. I will knead it and then put the BC on my cake and by the time I am done with smoothing the BC (I'm slow) the Fondx will have a chance to rest and then I will roll it out and put it on the cake.

Thanks again.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 12

I too am wondering about Jennifer's recipe

About the Fondx do you just cover it while it rests? Put it in a covered bowl? What do you do so it doesn't dry out? I've been considering ordering some. Do you think it would be too soft if I bought it & some White Chocolate Cal Java & mixed them together?

justsweet Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I too am wondering about Jennifer's recipe

About the Fondx do you just cover it while it rests? Put it in a covered bowl? What do you do so it doesn't dry out? I've been considering ordering some. Do you think it would be too soft if I bought it & some White Chocolate Cal Java & mixed them together?

In here dvd she shows how to make her chocolate fondant recipe and tells you can make it ahead just put back in the container until ready to use. Just like other fondants you will need to keep protect so it will not dry.

As per Daniel at Cal Java you can mix Fondx and Cal Java White Choc. Fondant. It does taste good, you just need to figure out your ration on mixing the two together (some go 50/50. 30/70, ect.)

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #10 of 12

Just wanted to mention that you are very lucky to have Jennifer Dontz coming to teach a class (of course, you already know this)! She is wonderful...I had the opportunity to take a 2-day class from her about 2 years ago. I learned so much in her class and she is such an awesome and fun teacher. I'm so jealous! I wanna come to sunny California (I could visit my niece and nephew in Ventura while I'm out there!)

Make sure you post pics of all your cool stuff you make in Jen's class!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:34am
post #11 of 12

I don't think soft fondant would work well with Jennifer Dontz's recipe.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 12

Well, time to report on my experiment with Jen's recipe and Fondx...

I did two wedding cakes with it and there were good parts and bad parts. First of all, I don't think that this is a fondant for beginners as it was really soft and tore pretty easily. Fondx is a soft fondant and Jen's white choc add-in does make it slightly firmer so I found that a good thing. If you use the technique of rolling out fondant on vinyl and flipping it onto the cake well it worked great using this method. At one point I did try to pick a 22" round piece of fondant by draping it over a large diameter pvc pipe and it just tore in half.

The good part was the texture was wonderful and smoothing went really well. I did not need to heat it in the microwave (which I do with Jen's original recipe, with Pettinice) to soften, in fact I didn't even need to knead it at all. I even found at one point that I was putting it in the fridge to harden it up a bit! It was too soft to use for fondant ribbons, but if chilled would work.

To sum up, I would say that it was great to use (once you get used to it) to cover cakes, not so good to use for anything else like flowers, ribbons, etc. If you're looking for a fondant that works great for all of these applications I would say that Jen's original recipe is best.

Hmm, still looking for the perfect fondant, anyone try Massa with Jen's add-in?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%