Safari Baby Shower

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm by cylstrial

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 33

I need a little help with a safari (i think) themed baby shower cake. Mom-to-be gave me a copy of the invite that she designed and wants the cake to match. She mentioned it was based on the baby's bedding, but I googled for hours and couldn't find anything similar for inspiration.

The invitation is very modern looking - white with primary flat animals along the bottom of it... I think it's a safari theme? There is a brown monkey, blue elephant, lt. blue bluebird, yellow giraffe, and red rabbit. The animals are each just the one color, no outline, no spots on the giraffe, no dimension. the eyes are white. There is a blue callout from the giraffe that says "it's a boy".

I asked if a generic jungle/safari theme would work. But she wants 8-6 rounds stacked, white BC icing with the animals on it and the saying "Oh Boy, here comes trouble!". I was thinking gp animals and gp callouts with the text on it? She expressed that she does not like square cakes.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm having a hard time visualizing this one. Since this is based on her design, I don't want to stray too far from the original without taking away from her creation.

32 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 33

i think you could do a basic blue background, the cut out animals around the tiers, sticking out of the grass. and the saying going in coulds on the top tier - maybe sticking out as a topper.
xx

beachcakes Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 33

Thanks brincess_b! I can't use blue - it has to be white. I like the cutout animals around the tiers! Do you think adding grass or leaves would be ok? The invite is very plain.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 33

i think you need to talk to the customer. in my head a white cake, no sky, no grass, and such simple animals doesnt 'do' anything for me, but i might just not be seeing it right! i can live with out the blue, but i think grass (even little tufts) make it more interesting.
xx

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 33

Can you post the picture of the invitation? Where is she buying the bedding from? Maybe you can google the store for the product and maybe get some ideas from the whole room set up? Good luck!!

bakescakes1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescakes1227 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:31am
post #6 of 33

I think you should do a green or blue backround with the cutouts around the bottom of the cake(s)!

beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #7 of 33

I hope it's ok to post here...I'll try to upload it. I have photoshopped out all the party details.

beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 33

OK I don't think it worked. Let me try again...

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:54am
post #9 of 33

I went to Babys R us and sesarched by theme. Is it one of these! (if you click on the photo it will enlarge it.)

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2290953&view=all

beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 33

oh my gosh - Sox-n-Pats! aren't you sweet?!! Unfortunately I don't see it!! I'm having trouble adding attachments to this post. I'll upload it to my gallery...

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 33

You might see if your customer would consider a 3D cake. This would be adorable in blue!

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Enormous-Birthday-Wishes

It's a 3D elephant. I did this one for a 1st Bday party and it was a hit.

beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 33

THat's adorable cakediva! Unfortunately the animals on the invite are very flat with no features.

beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 33

I've been unable to add an attachment here and briefly uploaded it to the template/sketch gallery; however, I was reminded by a moderator that non-cake photos are a violation and it was deleted. Sorry about that!

Another CC member, Texas Rose, graciously explained how I could do an attachment with a hosting site, so here it is (if anyone is still interested! icon_lol.gif ) Ta-da!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 33

I am truly amazed by the technological--and caking and baking--abilities of CCers! I don't know which talent impresses me more! There's so much to learn!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 33

With these simple cut-out type of animals, you could do them as a FBCT. Then you can place them verticaly on the sides of the 10" round. In between each animal could you do a verticle leaf tip to represent jungle foliage?

ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #16 of 33

With these simple cut-out type of animals, you could do them as a FBCT. Then you can place them verticaly on the sides of the 10" round. In between each animal could you do a verticle leaf tip to represent jungle foliage? Also...I think she wants white BC icing, but may be open to you adding some blue sky with the airbrush. I'd have another discussion with her.

ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 33

With these simple cut-out type of animals, you could do them as a FBCT. Then you can place them verticaly on the sides of the 10" round. In between each animal could you do a verticle leaf tip to represent jungle foliage? Also...I think she wants white BC icing, but may be open to you adding some blue sky with the airbrush. I'd have another discussion with her.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #18 of 33
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #19 of 33

Here's my jungle themed cake I did for a friend of mine. Just a thought.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297243
Jen

thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #20 of 33

I have a jungle cake in my photos as well, maybe it can give you some ideas?

beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #21 of 33

Excellent! Thank you! Going to check all these out right now! icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #22 of 33

Mandysue that cake is rally nice. And they didnt even have allof color to it!

jennabell your cake is nice. I just got an order for a jungle themed cake and cupcakes. I'm taking some of your ideas!!!

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #23 of 33

Would your client let you ice it in Ivory so that there is not such a bright contrast from the bright white against the plain animals? It would soften the look of the cake.

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #24 of 33

I would probably make fondant cutout animals place them around the sides of each tier. Make a gumpaste standing giraffe on top ( instead of a callout because it would not hold up, make a very similar plaque to place beside the giraffe, leaning on it.) Use simple ball border in the same color as the animals. I think the whole idea of this is minimalist, so adding leaves, etc.. goes against the theme. Sometimes very simple can be very dramatic.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #25 of 33

I think it could end up cute, even though it seems so plain.
You can do the cake in white like she wants. Since the animals are different colors, just do them to match the invites. Either FBCT or Fondant cutouts. Make 2 of each and put them on the sides all around (spaced evenly of course!) So you would have 2 of each animal total. Then on top you can put the "Oh baby" in different colors like it is on the invite, and/or the it's a boy sign. I think it look fine because the animals are different colors. Minimal, but elegant. Good luck, and please post pics!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

With these simple cut-out type of animals, you could do them as a FBCT. Then you can place them verticaly on the sides of the 10" round. In between each animal could you do a verticle leaf tip to represent jungle foliage?

I agree, this design is perfect for a transfer. FBCT or chocolate would work beautifully.

beachcakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:45am
post #27 of 33

Thank you so much! You guys are great! Your ideas are giving me inspiration icon_smile.gif I think I'll stick with a simple theme as the mom-to-be designed the invite herself.

beachcakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #28 of 33
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #29 of 33

Very cute beachcakes. You did a great job!!!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #30 of 33

Perfection. I think you hit the nail on the head with this cake...client had to be thrilled!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%