Cheesecake...in The Sportsball Pan?

Decorating By jtnbatch Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm by jtnbatch

jtnbatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtnbatch Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever used cheesecake in the sportsball pan, I actually need to make a baseball hat with it (1/2) does anyone have a recipe, pictures, ideas, or tips?

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

My only concern would be getting the cheesecake out of the pan. Usually I make cheesecake in a springform pan, so I'm not sure the ball pan would work.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

Ideas for getting the cheesecake out:

Line with strips(so that it conforms to the mold better) of parchment. Maybe also use a thin sponge as well.

I think it might be difficult to gauge doneness. I would use an instant read to get to 165 F. However, a little extra done might ensure that the cheesecake hold its shape.

Also, I would freeze this cake before working with it. Cheesecake seems to even out the moisture a little that way.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 6

i recommend placing your pan in the freezer for a few minutes and then melt some butter while pan is chilling. once butter and pan are ready grease entire pan inside with butter. butter will solidify on pan when applied and that is ok. i am not sure about the actual pan you are going to use because i also use springforms for my cheesecakes but i do know people that bake theirs in regular cake pans so i don't see why this would be different. once your cake is baked then let it cool as your recipe states and then wrap well with plastic wrap then freeze for at least 24 hours. when ready to take out of pan use a torch or a hairdryer on high and warm over the pan which melts the butter and the cake will release. hth it always works well for me. i think in this pan that parchment paper may be hard to place smoothly. good luck and let me know how it goes icon_razz.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 6

cut a large piece of parchment and spiral cut it to form the dome to line the ball pan. bake the cheesecake at a bit lower temp longer until the temperature reads 165. Place the pan in a water bath that is about 1 1/2 inches deep will help. The higher up the better. Let the cake firm up 8 to 12 hours in the fridge and then freeze. It is a bit of a process but it can be done. I used a white chocolate cheesecake recipe with a few extra egg yolks to tighten. I also over baked the first cake and it cracked in half while chilling.

jtnbatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtnbatch Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips, I will let you all know how well it turns out, it is a cake for next month. Husband doesn't like cake, or crust...so it's an all cheesecake baseball with a hat on top...could be a disaster, could be amazing icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%