Please Help- Fondant Question

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm by BlakesCakes

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake due today and I used a different icing because the client wanted something not-to-sweet. I am wishing I had not used it!! It is very soft- and I have to keep it in the refrigerator. It must be covered in fondant and I used Michelle's fondant recipe. It the cake is covered and in the refrigerator after I put on the fondant,- will it be okay when it comes to room temp? I appreciate anyone's help...

5 replies
2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 6

I am curious also to hear the answer to this question? We are in need of your professionl advise?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 6

What type of frosting/recipe did you use?

If it was whipped cream or a similar product. it shouldn't be covered in fondant as it will melt the fondant from the backside and make a big mess.

If it was a meringue buttercream and you want to refrigerate it, you should be fine. When you take it out, it will probably sweat. You can just let it dry on its own, or put it under a fan--just don't touch it until it's completely dry.

HTH
Rae

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 6

I know someone who used whipped cream and was successful although I would never suggest it should be used under fondant.

If it can't be left due to melting in room temp then I don't think it would work well under fondant.

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

It was swiss meringue buttercream- the client wanted something not-to-sweet. I had made a smaller batch as a trial and it worked great. The day I needed it- it was just aweful. I made three batches until I got it to somewhat work- but still needed to refrigerate/freeze. I did cover them in fondant- put the top tier in a box and then wrapped it in saran wrap while I worked on the bottom tier- turned out just fine and transported okay. Boy, was I glad to deliver it! Because the icing mess put me so far behind in timing, my baby blocks were just aweful...I gave my client a discount.
icon_sad.gif I like to keep my standards high! Anyway, thank you for your advice! You can see the finished cake in my photos- it is the baby cake with the blocks.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

I did cover them in fondant- put the top tier in a box and then wrapped it in saran wrap while I worked on the bottom tier- turned out just fine and transported okay.

Many people have problems with SMBC at times. It's a pretty precise process when making it and it can take some significant time to get it to come together properly.

Sealing the box with saran wrap may have also contributed to your problems. Unless you're freezing a tier already covered in fondant (not a great idea, but if a cake is to be saved for an anniversary, etc., it's the only option), then you really don't need to/shouldn't put it in an airtight container. Fondant has to breath and goes mushy quickly in an airtight environment. When covered, the fondant begins to absorb the liquid in the icing below it.

If a fondant covered cake needs refrigeration, it should sit uncovered. This also requires that nothing in the refrigerator be very odor free.

HTH
RAe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%