Cowboy Hat For A Gumpaste Man....how??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 4:41am by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake next weekend for the 3 men in my life who all have bday's together....My Husband, My BIL, and My father!

My husband loves a college football team, and I am trying to make the mascot. It's a man, wearing a cowboy hat. Now, I got the hard part down... the Man, but for the life of me... I can't figure out how to make the cowboy hat!!

Can anyone help me?? I have searched the online tutorials..and nothing has popped up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rhonda

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

i would think you could do it simply with a ball, slightly hollowed for the head to fit, and a thin rim stuck on.
possibly make the ball and smooth down the edges to make the rim all in one?
sounds like a cool cake anyway icon_smile.gif
xx

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 6

Thank you " brincess_b "... I have tried something along those lines already, and it didn't work. But, I'll give it another try any way.

Anyone else got any ideas??

Thanks for the help
Rhonda

wonderchickens Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

My daughter made a hat in gumpaste by cutting out oval for brim, let dry in a form to curve up. Then for upper part, roll out ball and shape to oval with some height. Roll two small "snakes" lay on top of oval on each side. Then roll out gumpaste and cover, like you would a cake. Push down between the "snakes" to make the indent for the top of hat. When brim is dry then attach top of hat. The only problem might be how it fits your man since they are already done.(my dd had shaped the heads for the hat to fit properly). Hope this helps a little!

wonderchickens Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 6

I forgot. You can add small roping where brim and hat meet to hide joint.

Rhonda19 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 6

Hi Everyone!

I wanted everyone to see that I did finish the mascot that I put on my husband's birthday cake. It turned out so good... I couldn't believe that I made it!! Of course, I did find some things wrong with it, and next time I will try and correct my mistakes.

Thank you Aine2 for all the help that you have given with your tutorials!

Rhonda
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%