Not Really A Cake Question But I Need Some Help

Lounge By yamber82 Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm by yamber82

yamber82 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 7

my son is turning one next week and i am going all out with his bday party icon_smile.gif it is a "oh the places he'll go" dr seuss theme and i am doing an all out dr seuss food spread. i want to make cheese trees and was thinking of just doing cheese cubes stuck in styrophome balls but i don't know whether i should just do like one big one or several small ones individual sizes and what can i make the "trunks" out of?

i know this really has nothing to do with cake, lol, but any ideas would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JenniferMI Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

Wish I could help, sounds like fun!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 7

baguettes could make trees, if they were slightly over cooked!
mini ones could be done with sausages, though you might need to get creative on supports.
xx

Gingoodies Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 7

How about pretzel rods or breadsticks for the individual trees? What a cute idea for a 1st BD!

yamber82 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for you guy's input icon_smile.gif

i was at michael's earlier and got some great ideas. i decided to make little individual truffle size cheese balls and roll them in green stuff ...lol, can't think of the name of it... i was looking in the floral section and found some green dowels and i bought 3 different size round ceramic pots which i am going to paint seuss colors and put styrophome in them and stick a bunch of "cheese trees" in them like tulips at different heights. i hope it turns out good. i couldn't really think of any other way of doing it, but it looks good in my head icon_smile.gif

i am also doing daisy head maisy burgers with daisy cutouts in cheese on the top bun and lots of other fun stuff. i am sooo excited!! and having a blast planning this. of course i am way over doing myself, lol.

i am still not sure how i want to do the cake yet either icon_sad.gif any ideas?

Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 7

That sounds like a neat idea!

As for the cake, express the Dr. Seuss them. Maybe incorporate the hat?

yamber82 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

i was looking at the topsy turvey/whimsical cake contest and tehre is a friggin awesome dr seuss one in there. was thinking about doing one like that (with the hand holding up the 3 tier seussy looking cake) on top of a hat instead of what that particular cake has but i also reeeeally like the fish coming out of the fish bowl cakes. i want to do it all but that would be sooo overcrowded, lol icon_smile.gif there are just so many directions to go with this theme.

i also considered an open book and on the inside put "one fish, two fish, here comes zanderfish" (baby's name is zander) but my husband thought that sounded dumb. i got that idea from a baby shower cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%