Does This Sound Ok? And Where Do I Get...

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm by Texas_Rose

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 5

My cousin wants a pink and purple camo cake. She said she wants "stuff" sticking out of it lol. I was thinking about making painted sugar cookies to stick out of it (instead of gumpaste figures or something). I wanna put her name on it and some stars and maybe hearts. Do you think that would look ok together with the camo?

Also, what kind of wire should I use? And where do I get it?

Thanks!

4 replies
ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 5

SOunds good to me. You can get wire in the craft shop, usually in the floral section. The type of wire depends on how stiff and sturdy you want it. For sugar cookies I would think a pretty thick gauge.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 5

i dont know if wire will be enough? its floristry wire, you can get it in cake shops. the lower the guage number, the thicker the wire. you are going to need very thick wire, or several wires taped together with floristry tape - colours are limited, but you could find alternatives.
id be trying to use something like lollipop sticks or skewers/ cocktail sticks.
it sounds really cool, i can see it being very pretty!
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 5

And cookies are heavier than you think, so I'd suggest really small ones.

I made this cake for my niece's wedding shower http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=812133 The flower cookies stood up "ok" icon_rolleyes.gif but the tree flowers didn't. YOu can see in the pic that I had to put some small flower cookies behind the trees to hold them in place.

I think part of my problem was that it was just a single layer cake, so there wasn't much cake to support such a tall tree, or even the flowers. A 2-layer cake might have better holding power, but I don't know.

Oh, and I used the white sucker sticks for these cookies.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5

I think lollipop sticks or cookie sticks would be better...you can dye them with some gel color mixed with vodka...but they would be better than wire because wire is not food safe, so if you used it inside the cookies no one would be able to eat them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%