My Last Wedding Cake

Business By mkolmar Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 3:55am by EatSomeCake

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 6

I decided the wedding cake I'm doing in the next 2 weeks will be my last for a while. I'm just too tired between work, family and DH's business. I really just want to focus more on my family and have more fun while I can with them (before my kids turn into teenagers and want nothing to do with me. icon_lol.gif ) I'll still be in the field but not so much in the decorating end.
I'm not really burned out just don't know how to explain it. Has anyone else felt this way?

5 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:53am
post #2 of 6

Take some time off....... you'll feel better and re-group later with more energy.

It's okay to say no!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 6

Oh yeah, you're definitely not alone. I agree with Mensch, take some time off to "refuel" and enjoy the summer (or what's left of it) with your kids.

Now I know it's "OK to say no".......the problem is actually SAYING it.

I'm having minor surgery this coming Thursday and I've booked off the 2 weeks after the surgery from both my Salon and my cake business, to recuperate.

Yesterday I ALMOST agreed to a last minute Anniversary cake for the 2nd weekend. I finally bowed out, but my client all but begged me to do it.

They really know how to lay the guilt trip on ya......geez!!

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate without the cakes! The kiddies will only be kiddies once, you can always do more cakes when they're older....
icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

May sound odd but I feel like a small weight has been lifted off my shoulders knowing that I'm done decorating for a while. I said I was done before and yet people would beg and I'd say yes. Then I'd be kicking myself wondering why I didn't say no. (Sound familiar Dkelly)
I want to improve in decorating but I just have so much going on right now I don't have time to practice, let alone do another cake order.

Hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.
Thanks for all of the words of encouragement everyone. I'll pick it up again when i have time.
Now I'm off to go do a few loads of laundry and study for a few hours.
I graduated over a year ago and here I am in classes once again. *geesh* what was I thinking.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 6

mkolmar-
Good for you for taking a break...although it doesn't really sound like it with all the other things you have going on. I wish you the best with the balancing act of family/career. It can be hard to make sure one or both areas don't suffer....

Your cakes are beautiful! I love that egg cake and the uniquely shaped topsy turvy cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%