Liking Gum Paste, But Hate Wiltons.

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 5:24am by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #1 of 10

Just used gum paste for the first time tonight, don't know why but it scared me. I guess I thought it would be hard, but I found it pretty easy. What I did have trouble with is the Wilton's gum paste I bought was all dried out and hard around the edges. Luckily the middle was still soft enough to work, but even so I still ended up with hard bits throughout. What brands do you like?

9 replies
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 10

Sometimes you just get the bad ones. I prefer using Satin Ice gumpaste mixed with Wilton fondant.

Some people love Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste.

Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:44am
post #3 of 10

I've used many other brands an honestly Wilton's is one of my favorites.

Always check the bag to be sure it's still squishy.

In shipping from manufacturer to warehouse then warehouse to stores the bags get knocked around regardless of brand and it only takes one pin hole to make a bag go bad.

AverageMom Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 10

Any time I buy Wilton's premade gumpaste, it is dry around the edges and I find hard pieces. So now I just buy the Wilton's powder, and mix it myself. It's just add water....can't be easier!

luv2cook721 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Any time I buy Wilton's premade gumpaste, it is dry around the edges and I find hard pieces. So now I just buy the Wilton's powder, and mix it myself. It's just add water....can't be easier!

Ok, I will try that. The easiest solution since my local stores only carry wilton.

kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 10

It is so easy to make your own I don't know why anyone would buy ready made.
I had someone give me some Nic Lodge ready made and it is yuck! It is very sticky and not stretchy at all.
I'll just keep on ;making it using Nic Lodge's recipe.........simply make royal icing, then add Tylose to it. Perfect every time.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 10

I love the Wilton pre-made gum paste.
I, too, sqeeze packages to try to get the one with the least hard edges.
I don't see those as a loss, though, because I dissolve them in water to make gum glue.

I find the consistency, color, and ease of use to be unbeatable.

Rae

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #8 of 10

Rae what a neat idea to recycle those hard edges. Totally.

luv2cook721 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 10

That is a great idea! Glad I didn't just pitch them in the trash. I will try that tonight while assembling my cake! I think I will try making my own in the near future, the recipe looks sooooooo easy.

luv2cook721 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #10 of 10

Rae,

Thanks for the gum glue idea! It works great, so much better than water and less mess than icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%