Food Network Judges, Can They Do A Cake Challenge?

Decorating By HamSquad Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm by cheekygirl

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #31 of 38

I have taught and trained enough over the years to know that you do not have to be arrogant to give constructive criticism. It would b eone thing if we got to hear her give praise as well as the negatives but we dont. All we hear is that these people who just worked thier butts off did a pathetic job. I have rarely heard anything posative and that I do not believe is solely because of editing. I dont think she is someone that must be respected. She is a cake decorator, YES she does beautifull work and has done alot for the trade but that does not buy her the right to be down right arrogant. and in just MY opinion she is. If you like her great. It you dont great. Like I have allready said on this subject, everyone is entitled to an opinon.

By the way, If someone asks me for my opinion I give it straight to them but I dont send them off into a corner in tears. There just is no reason to do that. I jsut wanted to add that I when I ask for input I allways want honest replies. Sometimes I think that people are not as honest as they should be about cakes that get posted. I know we need to support each other but constructive criticism helps everyone grow.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #32 of 38

I sat thru 2 tapings of Challenges where Kerry was a judge. I saw her laugh and joke with competitiors and the audience, ask probing questions, and give constructive criticism during judging.

When I finally saw the episodes aired, they saved only the most harsh things she said and left the "kinder" and constructive comments on the cutting room floor. FN has decided that she's their antagonist, so she'll never be shown as Mother Teresa.

She does get impatient with people when she has to repeat the same comments to them, show after show. Of course, I'm the same way when it comes to my kids...............

And, around here, one person's constructive criticism is another person's harsh, uncalled for flame.

Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Women who are straightforward and don't couch their judgements and criticisms with sweetness and apologies are often disliked--more so by other women than by men. There seems to be a sad belief that calling a spade a spade is not OK when a woman does so.

No sh*t? icon_eek.gif
Surely you jest!!
("And how would I know that?", she asked with complete innocence. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

A few negative comments by Kerry is worth more than a hundred "Oh, it's wonderful." judgements by others.

Abso-freakin'-lutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you can spot her cake style a mile away. Big deal. You mean Collette's cakes don't have a signature style? PinkBox doesn't have a signature style? THese are great cake people and I can spot THEIR cakes a mile away .... which I consider a very high compliment!

In case you can't tell, I think Ms. Vincent is the Queen of Cakes and comes in 2nd to no one. If she told me "Your border could have been much better!", I'd melt right on the spot and would tell the story for years! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:26am
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If she told me "Your border could have been much better!", I'd melt right on the spot and would tell the story for years! thumbs_up.gif

Indy you crack me up! icon_lol.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #35 of 38

Indy has me cracking up over here, LOL!

The thing is, with these TV competitions, all of the competitors are under the same constratints. So the judges should not take that into account. They should take into account the technical merits of the cakes, which I believe Kerrie does very well (although as a novice, I wish I could make one of the cakes she HATES as well as the cakers on the challenges do). Sure, we could probably all do better if time and other distractions weren't a factor, but when everyone has the same parameters in which to work, then they don't get factored in.

I also don't get why people love Simon Cowell who is downright cruel and often not even constructive. Yet Kerrie, who has the SAME JOB in TV competitions - to critique an art that doesn't have well-defined boundaries - get crapped on all the time.

And there's my $0.02...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #36 of 38

Isn't he the 'evil' judge on that singing talent show? Perhaps the same people don't watch both programs.
Myself, I think she's wonderful! She reminds me of my English teacher from high school, Miss Marta.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #37 of 38

Has anyone watched "Top Chef Masters"? (LOVE IT) This is pretty much the premise. A lot of the former judges are not competing in similiar, if not the exact, challenges they put the contestants through. They have all pretty much said it is harder than it looked, BUT Tom Cocichlio (sp?) said they all figured out what the contestants didn't - GOOD FOOD will win all. You don't have to get all tangled up in the rules/or the message you want it to convey.

cheekygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekygirl Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #38 of 38

I must say I use to think Kerry was rather negative. But my opinion changed the more I learned. She is there to judge, and that is what she does. She usually only says what the general (cake decorating) public is thinking. When FN did the surprise birthday challenge, and Kerry was the guest (not judge) she was sweet. She was very appreciative of all the efforts made to celebrate her birthday. She was even patient will the competitors that did the design the way they wanted and did not take anything she had to say into consideration. Over all, I think she does a great job as a judge. Most great teachers critique us to make us strive to be better, and I do believe that is Kerrys intentions. Just food for thought...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%