Real Flowers To Decorate A Cake

Decorating By missmersh Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 11:49am by splymale

missmersh Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 6

I tried doing a search and nothing ever came up in the if this topic has been covered...PLEASE forgive me! icon_smile.gif

I did my first REAL FLOWER wedding cake today and I kind of didn't know what needed to be done. I THOUGHT the wedding planner was getting the flowers from a florist (who would have known which kind of flowers would be appropriate to go on a cake) WELL, the planner had just gone to a local grocery store and gotten several different types of flowers. We were going to put them in between the tiers (hidden pillars)....

I had placed a piece of wax paper on top of each tier so the flowers wouldn't touch the cake...but in the end...some of the blooms actually did a little.

I am wondering HOW do you prepare a cake to have flowers put on top of each tier so the flowers won't touch the cake AT ALL????

I keep doing searches to try to find this out on the internet...but all I keep getting is a list of toxic/non toxic flowers. If the flowers are NOT EATEN, NOT STUCK INTO the toxic could just barely touching really be?

From now on...I will know what to tell my brides/planners about flowers...but this was something new to me.

Besides the florist can I prepare my cake for this type situation in the future???

Thanks SOOO much!!!

5 replies
lorijom Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

There are toxic and non-toxic flowers, some are even edible. So the first question should be what kind of flowers and then you have to discuss with the client about pesticides and pollen. If they still want flowers you need them to sign a waiver regarding the dangers of using flowers - I have it written into my contract. I won't allow toxic flowers to be on a cake at all.

One thing you can do to protect the cake from flowers is use cake separator plates for them to rest on, but honestly there is no way to completely protect the cake from being touched at all.

You may want to research your local area to find organic, pesticide free flower suppliers or florists who offer them. HTH

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 6

Dont' depend on the florist to know what's toxic or not.

YOu can direct your brides to my blog's specific article on this very topic: Note the part where I point out that a florist didn't know a flower was toxic. icon_eek.gif

missmersh Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #4 of 6

Thank you BOTH! icon_smile.gif And thank you so much for the link to your blog, Indydebi! It's awesome!!! icon_wink.gif

I think from now on, I will either send them a link to your explanation, or let them know that we should discuss the list of flowers they are considering.

I appreciate you both getting back to me!!! You both were alot of help!! icon_wink.gif

splymale Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #5 of 6

I'm making a wedding cake with fresh flowers also. They will be sitting on the cake , not in between layers. Any suggestions? I heard wilton has something for this, but I couldnt find it on there website. I found a list of nontoxic flowers on this website under articles, it was very helpful. Do I cover the stems and stick them directly onto the cake? Or do I cut the stems & set them on the cake? This is buttercream icing, will the icing affect the petals? Do I set wax paper under the petals, without it being noticable?
Sorry so many questions! This is my 1st wedding cake & use of fresh flowers!
Thank you!

splymale Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #6 of 6

Ok, just read your blog, indydebi, very helpful. So thats it, just dab w/ buttercream & stick on. Seems easy enough! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%