Anyone Else Find Black Satin Ice Very Soft?

Decorating By Cheyanne25 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 4:18am by Jen80

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 8

Every time I've worked with satin ice in black I've found it to be very soft and rips really easily.

Anyone else find this? Anyone found a way to make it work?

The only solution I've found so far is to leave it out so that it dries up a bit. I find it stays together a bit after that.

7 replies
Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:42am
post #2 of 8

Can I just ask what it tastes like? I'd like to order some but would like to know how it tastes before I do. I have a black powder to color my fondant but it makes it taste very bitter.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 8

I buy Satin Ice when I need black or red and have found that black seems softer too. I usually add some powder sugar to it and that helps thicken it up a bit. Its so dark it doesnt fade, although im sure if you added enough P.S. it would. Good Luck!

Jen80, it's quite good, I dont like it as much as homemade, but its not bad, all the ones I have ever bought are vanilla flavored and taste great!

Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 8

Thanks vanna1487.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 8

i found it quite soft, but it didn't make it too hard to work with. i had to be a more careful and it was a pain, but it did work fine in the end.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

I just got my 1st. order of the black & red, both vanilla flavor. I'm happy I came across this thread...because I just learn that I can add some PS if I am finding it a little hard to work with.

Has anyone found this to be the same with the Satin Ice red fondant? As far as the taste, I found the vanilla to be very good IMO thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 8

I didn't know there were any replies! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds it a bit soft.

Vanna1487 thanks for the tip about the ps, I was worried it would lighten up the colour.

Jen80, the flavour is great, no bitterness at all. Everyone I've sold/given a cake to with it on it has told me how good the fondant tastes.

Jen80 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Cheyanne25.

Has anyone ever seen somebody eating black icing while trying to talk at the same time? It's hilarious!!!! Black teeth, tongue, lips and all!!

Or maybe it doesn't happen with Black Satin Ice. It sure did with my icing!! LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%