My First Cake Disaster

Decorating By staten93 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 1:41am by staten93

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 3

Today I delivered a grooms cake based on the band KISS. He is a huge fan and this was a surprise from the bride who is a friend. Cake looked great at the house-sides smooth everything even. When I got to the reception and opened the door the frosting had slide down the side of the cake. I just wanted to cry. It has been hot today-95 degress, high humidity, 25 minute drive with some bumpy roads. I am sure that all lead up to this happenning. I think the weight of the gumpaste KISS logo pulled down on the frosting. Do you think next time should I wait to put something like that on until after it is delivered? The cake was still straight and not wobbly, just the frosting slide with the logo. I fixed it the best I could with my repair kit. I am so glad I had it with me. Thanks to all the fellow CC's who recommend having one with you. It did help. Just wanted to vent and get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

2 replies
woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 3

Im sorry you had to deal with this. icon_cry.gif How did it look after you fixed it? Was the client satisfied?

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the support. I filled in the gaps where the frosting had pulled away from the cake and smooth it out the best I could. I was going to take the logo off,but as so as I tried I could tell it was going to make it worse. The before and after pictures are in my gallery. It wasn't the best fix. However the groom was thrilled. My sister was a bridesmaid and told me that everyone loved the cake. The groom gave my mom a hug when she picked up my nieces from the wedding and told her how much he loved it. There was only one piece left when my mom got there. He said it tasted great and it made his day more special. I am really glad he liked it. It was a fun cake to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%