I've Been "hon" (-Ed) To Death Lately~Grrr

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 10

O. M. G.

With some people I can overlook them calling me "Hon" I mean I do it with most people--the chick at the drive up window called me "Hon' twice when I ordered then I was gonna just let it pass and she said it again when I picked up the freaking coffee! I gently went off on her.

Please omg do not call me "Hon" one more time.

Do I look like your "Hon"?

Do I remotely sound like your "Hon"?

Have you ever even seen me before in your life? No.
So how could I possibly be your "Hon"?

So stop it.

casual observer: "Feel better now, Hon????"

How do you tell people to stop it?

Think I'm just gonna start saying, "Please don't call me that."

I mean how 'bout I just start calling random strangers Butter Butt or something?

Why do people do that?!

They know it pisses people off.

9 replies
Doug Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 10

another one:

Deb_ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 10

LMAO @ "butter butt" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

another one I hate:

How I respond depends on my mood.......lately it's "I'm not your "hon", "sweetie", etc....... icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 10

You're in the South. They do that there, it's like sir and ma'am.
Glad I no longer live there.

Sorry 'bout that.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 10

Like especially when they're in their twenties or use it repeatedly.
Ok once, whatever, but over and over??
Like you didn't grate on my nerves enough the first coupla times??

Nuh ugh.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #6 of 10

Some little chick in her twenties called me sweetie a couple of times the other day, and it really weirded me out! I let it go because I figured it wasn't worth saying anything, but I found it really strange.

It's not just a Southern thing... "Ma'am" and "Sir" are more Southern, I get that all the time, but the "Hon" from a young cashier or other random person isn't normally done around here.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:50am
post #7 of 10

Um, this Paula-Deen-Sound-Alike person here, uses "darlin'" in her everyday language. It's a southern and a gramma thing.

Now in my younger days, I was guilty of using "hon" until I was educated about how it sounded to other folks. I didn't realize it was insulting-sounding. (Give me some slack .... it was back in the "when-I-was-20ish-and-knew-everything" days! You guys remember those days! We all go thru it .... and we all outgrow it! icon_biggrin.gif )

So they may not know it's an insult. They may think it's a "makes us sound like buddies" thing. And you should tell them. They wont' know unless you tell them. I didn't know. Until my boss, a really great lady, helped me understand.

s_barnes76 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:41am
post #8 of 10

K8, have you ever been to the buffet down at Resorts? There is a waitress there that will drive you INSANE with her "Hon", "Sweetie", "Darlin'". My mom loves to go there, but if she hears that woman's voice, she will turn around and leave icon_biggrin.gif

Gefion Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:30am
post #9 of 10

Oh I love it! I love it when I go to England and they call me "love". It's such a nice change from the pouty b**tches at home icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 10

S Barnes--No I've never been to The Resorts. But your Mom is my kinda girl!!

Indy, for sure!

I mean I say Munchkin sometimes--I probably say Sweetie a time or two but you know what I mean--the excessive drippy inapporpriate ones.

But I put guys in their place fast--no terms of casual endearment, period.

Seriously though, 'Hon' to me has a different conotation than other casual terms of endearment. And it is possible to use it casually without offense--it's an art form though huh.

Amateurs need not apply. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%