Sweating Buttercream In Hot Texas - Help!

Decorating By pattiverde Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm by pattiverde

pattiverde Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I live in cool, breezy (rainy) Portland, Oregon, but am visiting friends in super hot, rural Texas right now. Yesterday I made two birthday cakes (for today) and put them in the refrigerator, as I always do at home. At home when I take the cakes out, the fondant sweats but not the buttercream, and the fondant always dries and goes matte again within about an hour out of the fridge. Well here in super hot Texas the cakes are sweating like crazy - the buttercream and the fondant decorations. They've been out of the fridge for two hours and no sign of drying up yet. Any ideas from y'all (I'm in Texas alright!) who live in hot, humid places? There is a cieling fan in the living room; I'll try that until I hear from you. The party is in 1.5 hours!

Thank you!
icon_smile.gif patti

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 3

The fan is what I was going to suggest, or cranking the ac down in the house (it doesn't just cool, it pulls the humidity out of the air).

pattiverde Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, Texas Rose! The ceiling fan worked pretty well, though it still hadn't completely dried by the time we served the cake. I essentially served very shiny cake! But with lots of rave reviews. icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much! Texas is awesome!
icon_smile.gif patti

Quote by @%username% on %date%