A Few Questions About Ganache...

Decorating By HPChick33 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm by HPChick33

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! After going through several previous posts on ganache, I still have a few questions. I am going to use it under fondant for the very first time, and I can't afford for this cake to go wrong because it is my second cake order ever!

1. Several posts mention that you should let the ganache sit approx. 12 hours, or overnight. Do I leave it in the fridge, or simply in an airtight container?

2. After letting it sit, will it automatically set into a peanut-butter like consistency, or do I have to put it back in my mixer?

3. Once the entire cake is covered in ganache, do I let it sit in the fridge, or outside (room temp)?

4. What is your opinion in regards to ganache as a filling as well as an icing? Is it too much chocolate (for me, there's no such thing icon_biggrin.gif , but not everyone agrees)? I wanted to do a stawberries & milk chocolate ganache filling, and then ice it in milk choc ganache as well. Would this require refridgeration?

I am sorry for all of the questions, but I am just itching to achieve super sharp edges and a few fellow bakers have told me that this is a great method.

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

2 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 3

1. Several posts mention that you should let the ganache sit approx. 12 hours, or overnight. Do I leave it in the fridge, or simply in an airtight container?

-When ganache is cooled and has not set yet, I prefer to pop it in the fridge because I am very impatient (it thickens faster in the fridge). I just put a paper towel to cover the bowl. When I take it out of the fridge, it is usually so hard so I microvawe it every 15 secs or less, stirring it constantly (when it comes out) until peanut butter consistency.

-I never really wait for my ganache to sit in room temp because it takes a long time

2. After letting it sit, will it automatically set into a peanut-butter like consistency, or do I have to put it back in my mixer?

-You don't put the ganache in the mixer unless you are making whipped ganache.

-I don't know how long it sets in room temperature but I know it takes forever, especially in the summer.

3. Once the entire cake is covered in ganache, do I let it sit in the fridge, or outside (room temp)?

-I personally prefer to put in the fridge because it sets faster and I always use perishable fillings.

4. What is your opinion in regards to ganache as a filling as well as an icing? Is it too much chocolate (for me, there's no such thing , but not everyone agrees)? I wanted to do a stawberries & milk chocolate ganache filling, and then ice it in milk choc ganache as well. Would this require refridgeration

- I would use whipped ganache for filling because I find that unwhipped ganache is too hard.

-Any filling with fresh fruit is perishable. You should always refrigerate.

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you VERY much! Your reply was very helpful.

I love your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%