Using Ganache Under Sugar Paste

Decorating By jay-jay40 Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 8:41am by Rylan

jay-jay40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jay-jay40 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 5

just wondering if anyone users ganache instead of butter cream thinking of trying ganache for the first time any hints and tips would be great thanks jay-jay40

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 5

I do. Try using this to find a few threads: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forums-search.html

Try typing, ganache under fondant.

Don't forget to check "search for all terms".

Good luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 5

It certainly can be used under sugarpaste/fondant. It gives a nice crisp edge. On the other hand, it's much more expensive than buttercream if you use good quality ingredients. Also, there are some cake flavors that you may not want to mix with chocolate.

Here in the US, most people really don't like the texture of fondant. They just don't like chewing their icing and it's for that reason that I still put a full coating of buttercream under the fondant. The edges aren't as crisp, but people are happy to find plenty of the buttercream they love in there.

I know for certain that I could never convince anyone to get a fondant cake if I didn't offer the "hook" of buttercream underneath the fondanticon_rolleyes.gif

Rae

jay-jay40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jay-jay40 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:31am
post #4 of 5

thanks for the help and advice i use butter cream at present but find that you need a thick layer of sugar paste to keep that smooth look and still find that some times you can still see the outline of the cake cut and filled with the butter cream underneath i came across ganache in one of my books and it says that the ganache hardens up for a smoother finish a bit more time taken as you have to wait a day for it to harden up before you can cover it with the sugar paste i think i might give it a try to see which one i prefair thanks jay-jay40

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:41am
post #5 of 5

You can also put it in the fridge to harden faster. I suggest you try it out because a lot of people get condensation issues.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%