Somanyask-Can'tfindanswer-Perishable Filling W/fondant

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm by arosstx

chillysmommy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

With a chocolate cake, filled with strawberry mousse, covered in SMBC, I know I will need to refrigerate. I also want to cover with Fondant, and top with gumpaste characters... and I'd like to get it done Friday for a trip to a Saturday party... will it work or will I get condensation and running colors when I take it out of the fridge?

How would you all accomplish this without it being a failure?

thanks in advance!

4 replies
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

It really depends. I personally never had any issues with condensation. Just to be safe, I'd suggest you put the gumpaste characters when you are ready to set it up because if ever you have problems with condensation, that could ruin some of the figures.

Take note that when you wrap a cake with plastic wrap and (if ever) condensation comes, it could cause some damage to your fondant because of the trapped moisture. I personally always cover my cakes with plastic wrap when I refrigerate but I don't get any condensation so I am excused.

Good luck.

lorijom Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

I refrigerate fondant all the time. You don't need the wrap because the fondant will preserve the moisture in the cake. Obviously you don't want to put it in a frig that smells like onion or something. Do not put gumpaste in the frig. Moisture is the enemy of gumpaste, it will wilt.

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 5

I put everything in the fridge.

So far I've been ok with gumpaste too...gumpaste figurines and stuff don't seem to be harmed by the fridge.

arosstx Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 5

It's always good to do a test first. You can make a rough gumpaste figure, or small fondant covered cake, or whatever - put it in your frig, and see what happens to it overnight. Fondant usually will survive, gumpaste gets soft.

What I've learned is that every frig is different, and especially every climate/humidity level is different. Everyone that answers this question here on CC is basing it on THEIR area and frig.

Whenever I wonder if something will work regarding the use of a refrigerator, specifically MY refrigerator, I do a test first beforehand. To me, it's the best way to know for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%