Edible Dusts

Decorating By Sumkat Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 5:58am by Rylan

Sumkat Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a difference in the types of edible dust you can purchase ( I hear them referred to as luster dust, disco dust, and several other terms)? Are these all the same thing or are they different and what is the difference? I'm looking for a kind that works really good on fondant for gold and silver accents. Is there a brand that you really like that really gives good coverage and can be purchased in the US at a Michael's, Joann's, or cake decorating store or online? I have purchased Wilton's glitter dust stuff and it didn't really work the way I expected.

6 replies
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7
Originally Posted by Sumkat

Is there a difference in the types of edible dust you can purchase ( I hear them referred to as luster dust, disco dust, and several other terms)? Are these all the same thing or are they different and what is the difference?

This is from the FAQ section going up on my student site. I think I got the info from here (a couple years ago at least). I don't remember if this is the original copy/paste or if it's the version where I added some of my own experiences with them in each description.

What is the difference between Pearl, Petal, Luster & Shimmer Dust?

Petal Dust: It only adds color, not shine. It is good to use on fondant or gumpaste flower petals. It gives a more realistic look to flowers. They can be brushed onto the dried gumpaste with artist brushes. If you want deeper colors you can thin them with alcohol, lemon extract, something with an alcohol base dries faster and paint them onto the dried gumpaste. You can also dust with dry petal dust and then hold your finished flower over a pan of steaming water to set the color so it doesn't flake off on your icing. It also darkens the color a bit and adds a sheen. Let the flowers dry after steaming and be careful not to touch the colored areas because it will remove the color and leave white spots in the petal.

Luster Dust: It is a shiny, metallic looking dust that can be brushed on dry to add some color and sparkle, to get a deep, shiny pearl or gold you mix them with alcohol and paint them onto the dried gumpaste. They can also be thinned with alcohol and used in an airbrush to spray the color onto gumpaste. The mixture wants to separate, so you need to stir it from time to time. Clean your airbrush thoroughly after spraying so the Luster Dust doesn't clog the airbrush parts. I always color my fondant and then match the luster dust to that color - that gives a nice deep color and a very brilliant shine.

Highlighter/Shimmer Dusts: They have sparkle and can be brushed on dry over white or even colored dried gumpaste. It will add sparkle without changing the color too much. You can also add alcohol and paint them on, but they won't have the intensity of Luster Dust.

Disco and Pixie Dusts: They are the same thing. They are non-toxic just like the Luster Dust. They are VERY sparkly and are pretty much like real glitter--but have a finer texture. You can sprinkle tem on BC iced cakes--or take a bit in the palm of your hand and gently blow the dust across the cake for full coverage. I have also mixed them with vodka and painted on gumpaste.

Pearl dust: It comes in different colors (blue pearl, green pearl, etc), but it doesn't really add a noticeable color if you brush it onto white fondant - just a nice iridescent shine.

katwomen1up Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 7

There is a difference, Luster dusts are metallic color mix 50/50 mix of color and Vodka or any clear alcohol. Petal dust is a flat dust can be used dry or mixed with water or alcohol. Pearl dust are iridescent. I don't care for the ones at Joanne's or Michaels either.

Sumkat Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7

What a thourough answer, thank you! Anyone have specific brands they like that are easily purchased in the western states or online?

Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 7

I love Crystal Colors. They are FDA appoved and a little goes a long way.

Sumkat Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:42am
post #6 of 7

RylanTy - where do you purchase that specific brand?

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #7 of 7

They can be purchase a globalsugarart.com but there are other places as well.

Take note, they are much expensive than regular dusts but they come a long way. I haven't tried regular non FDA approved dusts but I've heard from other people that Crystal Colors have better coverage than regular dusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%