Can I Use A Crusting Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm by Kitagrl

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all!
Can I use a crusting buttercream (made with meringue powder) under fondant or do you think it may have trouble sticking to it? Any advice please? Thanks so much!

7 replies
cake-angel Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 8

You sure can!! If it has crusted really well you can lightly mist a little water over the cake or you can brush the bottom edge with some piping gel for the fondant to adhere to.

Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 8

Exactly what ^^^ said.

tonedna Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

Yes...put it int the fridge and let it cool down so it hardens and it doesnt loose shape when you add the fondant.
Edna icon_smile.gif

superstar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

That is interesting Edna! I have never put my BC cake in the fridge before covering it with fondant as I have always been afraid of the cold BC making the fondant 'sweat'. How long do you put it in the fridge for?

StaceyCakes75 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 8

I always put my cakes with BC in the fridge just for about 15 min. then add my fondant. I wouldnt leave it for too long other wise, yes the fondant will sweat.

superstar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks StaceyCakes75, the day I stop learning is the day I die!

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

I find chilling a crusting buttercream, and then letting it sit out like 10 minutes (while you roll out the fondant) gets just enough condensation on the buttercream to let the fondant stick without a misting of water (which I used to do!) Although if you live somewhere dry it may not work so well.

I do refrigerate fondant...it does sweat some but dries out and nothing is affected.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%