Help Quick... Cracks Developed On My Cake Overnight..

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm by Carolynlovescake

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 11

Please help. I have to deliver a cake this morning that has developed cracks on the bottom tier. What caused these and how can I fix it. I did dowel it with 8 dowels.

10 replies
minicuppie Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 11

It is probably a weight issue...your bottom board needs to be thicker and stronger. It would help if you would post what the cake was covered in.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 11

Where are the cracks, and what kind are they? Are they only in the icing, or does it look like the cake is going to collapse? If there are nbig cracks int he cake I wouldn't move it, I'd take the top tiers off of hte bottom before delivering it. That's a pretty serious thing, so you don't want to take a chance that the entire thing will collapse. If it's just surface cracks on the icing you might be able to smooth it out with a little water or a paper towel.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

The cake is covered in buttercream. It has a 8 inch board under the top layer and then 8 dowels and a long middle dowel. Do you think I will have problems with delivery?

leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 11

The question is "What's the board on the bottom of the cake?" That may be where you need extra support.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 11

What size are the tiers and how many are there? 8 dowels in one tier is a lot, so you might have put too many in and it's making the cake less structurally sound. Did you use plastic or wood dowels, straws, etc?

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 11

I used the covered board that you can buy from Wilton. I am not sure how to tell if it is the icing or cake but it seems to be the icing. I put 8 dowels cause i read somewhere to put as many dowels are the layer needed to be supported...8 inch cake 8 dowels.

I tried to add a photo to my gallery.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 11

That just looks like icing cracks. Did you use the new Crisco without trans fat? My icing was doing that for a while until I switched to s trans fat brand.

I'd just put the cake in the fridge until you need to deliver it, and drive sloooowly. You could try to smooth out the icing by putting a little water on it and smoothing it, but that might not help, and could make it worse. It doesn't look like the cake is going to collapse, though, that's jsut an icing crack as far as I can see.

You don't need that many dowels, by the way. For an 8" with a 6" on top I put 3 dowels in the 8", and if it's a 10" with an 8" on top I just use 4 or 5 in the 10".

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 11

I think it is the board under the cakes. I used the wilton rounds but when I just lifted it to put it back in the box the cracks came back. I am going to buy MDF and use that from now on, i have a cake to deliver tomorrow that is about 2 hrs away and cant have that happen again. I have a repair kit and I will fix the cracks the best I can when I get there.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

I don't know if all Wilton boards are flimsy, but I had a girl trade me some Wilton 16" silver drums for a different size, and the Wilton ones are so flimsy I can't even use them. I was shocked at how wiggly they are, so it could very well be the reason if the ones you have are like that!

Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 11

My bet is that it's your bottom cardboard. When I have to use cake boards and am stacking I use 3 or 4 of them and hot glue them together.

MDF is a can't go wrong board too.

I actually use sink cutouts from a local cabinet shop. They normally just throw them away so they save them for me and I come and pull out what I like and take them. They are lightweight and in all kinds of shapes and sizes as well as a variety of colors.

I always offer to pay the guy and through a cupcake stuffed mouth says "nopth thyss isth payment enuff"

Quote by @%username% on %date%