Ends Of Cake To Done

Decorating By mishlove Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm by kakeladi

mishlove Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:30am
post #1 of 3

I read on here, which I can not find. Someone had used Flower nails in the middle of their cakes, so cook evenly and the ends do not get over done.

I seem to have a problem with my larger cakes getting done on the ends faster.

How do you use the flower nails, do you put them on the bottom before you put the cake batter in, or do you waittill the batter sets up and stick them in the the middle of the cake batter? How many would I use for a 12inch cake?

Thank you so much

2 replies
vlk Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Mishlove -

I just recently had asked this same question and got several helpful responses. Here is what I learned -

Use baking strips on your cakes (WONDERFUL !! would never bake a cake without them again!)
Once removed from the oven you can cover with tinfoil for about an hour - will hold in moisture and soften edges.
Tiggy2 recommend the flower nail - I tried this and it made the center sink more than I wanted - but she did say anything over 8" she uses it. Place nail inverted in the pan and then pour batter and bake.
Also, you can freeze the cake and once frozen you can trim the edges off.

BUT.. the final decision that I have that works for me is the Baking strips, and if the cake domes in the middle, I place a clean cloth on the cake once removed from the oven and GENTLY !! push the center down and let some air out. PERFECT every time...

kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 3

The metal flower nail will bring a bit more heat into the center of the cake so it bakes up about as fast of the rest of the cake.
As the pp said, just coat the nail w/grease and place it flat head down; nail sticking up in the center of your pan. Carefully pour in batter and bake. When you turn the cake out of the pan you remove the nail.

Using 'stripes': Cut up old bath towels OR buy baking stripes; wet well but not dripping and wrap around the outside of your pan; pin.
If your edges are getting hard/dry you should turn the oven temp down. Bake at no more than 325 - even as low as 300. Yes, it will take a few minutes longer but in the long run you will have a much nicer, moist cake.

Also when cooling cakes - remove from oven; cool in pan about 10 minutes, turn out onto a cake cooling rack; cover w/a piece of wax paper and place pan over cake to cool another hour or until completely cool to touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%