Patchwork Butterflies Breaking - Any Tricks Out There?

Decorating By jennicita Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 8:06am by jennicita

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi everybody!
I have some fairly new butterfly patchwork cutters and they're giving me problems. Most of my butterflies lose their wings once they've dried, either when I pick them up or when I'm attaching them to the cake. Is there any way I can add stability to the wings?

When I cut them out I try to put pressure on the outside edges but keep it minimal on the center elements to leave them a little thicker. This seems to help but after they've dried a bit they're still so fragile.

If anybody has a good trick, I'd really love to hear it.

Thanks! (and my poor army of wingless butterflies thanks you too!)

Jenny

3 replies
Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 10:33am
post #2 of 4

When I use my patchwork cutters,I use 50/50 fondant & gumpaste. I find using straight gumpaste makes the items really brittle.Take a little longer for them to dry,but no breakage & they are edible.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

here is a tutorial that uses the patchwork cutters that actually shows what to do with the breaking, lol! what are the odds, lol. i love this blog, they always have the best things!

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-make-sugarpaste-butterfly.html

diane

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:06am
post #4 of 4

Thanks! Those are great tips. I'll try the 50/50 mix next time. And the technique in the blog looks promising - I had been wondering how to attach them to wire, anyway!

Thanks again!

Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%