In Need Of Help...

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm by Rylan

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:30am
post #1 of 9

Ever since crisco switched to the 0 grams trans fat shortening, it seems that my buttercream has a weird grainy look to it whenever i color it.

Like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1420281

I don't know what this is, but i sure don't like it(darn the healthy crisco icon_biggrin.gif )
Can anyone help me?

8 replies
CookieO Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:05am
post #2 of 9

I can only tell you what others have said,

to try Hi Ratio Shortening (best), or store generic brands of shortening. I found that Krogers brand (local to me) does still have trans fats in it. It's not white white though.

HTH.

Or maybe try Indy's Crisco buttercream recipe, everyone says it's great.

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:50am
post #3 of 9

yeah, i've thought about that.The only problem is I live in Okinawa,Japan...you don't get generic brands, or anything other then 0grams crisco icon_biggrin.gif
Can you order that stuff online?
Do think i should blend better with my KA mixer?

Thanks

aligotmatt Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:54am
post #4 of 9

I use the 0grams stuff and mine does not look like that. What else are you putting in there?

sugarcheryl Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 9

You can order the high ratio shortening on line. Check out www.thebakerskitchen.com. I now use only Crisco when I'm in a pinch but I also use butter with it. I do not understand why your icing was graining.

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #6 of 9

I don't add butter, maybe that's why

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:04am
post #7 of 9

That used to happen to my buttercream sometimes. I've switched to Indydebi's recipe and have not had that problem again icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:43am
post #8 of 9

doesn't indydebs recipe have like some sort of whipped cream stuff in it( if i remember right icon_rolleyes.gif )...you can't find that here inokinawa.
does her recipe crust?

Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 9

Yes her recipe crusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%