Cricut Mats For Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By ATCakes Updated 3 May 2010 , 1:16am by Scrappinmom

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:09am
post #1 of 31

What is the best way to get the tacky junk off of the mats? I have seen two or three different methods and I think I am getting confused. I just got my Expression this week and have played with paper. I can't wait to try it for gp/fondant, especially since I have a wedding cake to do this week.

30 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 31

I don't have the Cricut but the Silhouette SD....... I used some plastic file folders from Walmart to make a carrier sheet for mine. It is the same width as the 'original' that comes with the machine and works great. Can't beat the cost....I got the plastic file folders at Walmart on School supply closeout last year for 50 cents, and there are probably 5-6 sheets in each folder..... I originally got them to hand cut cake design stencils for my airbrush and can still make stencils but MUCH easier on the machine! I did try a bit of Crisco and gumpaste on them and worked just as good as the 'expensive originals' so that is all I will ever use!

ATCakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 31

That sounds interesting. Did you just substitute the file folder for the mat?

ATCakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 31

That sounds interesting. Did you just substitute the file folder for the mat?

bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 31

I cut the folders into single sheets that were 'just about' the same width as the original.... they fit under the rollers just nice but are about 1/8th inch smaller. Nice thing is I have a LOT of them and can roll out my gumpaste on each one and set aside till I'm ready run them thru. Don't have to worry about taking them off the carrier to do the next! They can stay on the carrier after I 'clean' them up and I can either cover them to keep them soft or let them air dry right on the sheet and not worry about distortion. And....you can't beat the price even if they are on 'regular' price! WAYYYYY cheaper then the official carrier sheets.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 31

Bisbqueenb - thanks for the info on the file folders. I have the Sil SD, too, and have found it to be quite user-friendly with replacement mats. I have used blank stencils as a mat, too. What settings and paste thickness are you using?

bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 31

Seems we are the 'odd man out' as far as Cricut vs Silhouette SD! Any others using the Silhouette ? Mine is new to me so still experimenting but can see the possibilities! I like the fact there is no cartridge system or extra program to buy and I can use what I already have to design with!

I found slow [ 2-3 ] speed and 9-11 thickness working yesterday, but then it was humid here not usual for SE Arizona, but we are in mid monsoon weather....so I'm sure things will have to be adjusted as I work on projects. That is what is nice with the gumpaste....no waste...try it at a setting....if it isn't right roll it out again and try an adjustment!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:35am
post #8 of 31

I am joining you in the "odd man out" club. Got a Sil SD from ebay at a good price. It just came yesterday, so am playing with paper to get to know it. It is a nice unit, was up and cutting in no time.

jrule Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrule Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 31

Hey Ladies, I was reading the home page and this topic peeked my interest. I have a cricut, my husband bought me one last year, for x-mas. I love it, but i never put gumpaste in it. How does it work like this?? I have new blades, just need a new mat. Can some one guide me threw a how to . I don't want to mess up the machine. Thanks girls!!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 31

ATCakes Lindas DVD said to rub crisco all over it and then use your spatula to scrape it off. I soaked mine for about 20mins in really hot soapy water, got the scrubby brush on it rinsed it and all clean, a lot easier than scraping and scraping.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 31

I just put waxed paper on mine so I can still use the mat for paper if I want to.

Plus, no elbow grease. LOL

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 31

Cakepro, that's brilliant! I was hoping there was a way that I didn't have to scrape down the mat! Thanks for sharing!

Cakepro Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 31

Wish I could take credit...but LeahS recommended it. icon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 31

I just got my Cricut & I'm practicing with paper 1st. (I also cut some fabric today!) When I get my deep cutting blade, I'm going to start cutting gp. I'll probably try wax paper. You could probably use Goo Gone to get all the adhesive off. Just let it set for several min before washing it off.
I may just get an extra mat & use one for gp & the other for paper.

Cakepro Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 31

Goo Gone is petroleum based and should never be used on items which food will touch.

Stick with dish soap or something FOOD SAFE please. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 31

Yes..I read from Leahs just to use wax paper.That is what I am going to do cause I plan to use the machine for some scrapbooking also and I don't want several mats.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #18 of 31

I can't stand the smell of the adhesive on the mats! I just spread a light coat of crisco on the mat and let it sit a few minutes then took a Bounty paper towel and used a circular motion and the sticky came right off. Then I gave it a quick wash and dry. No more irritating smell. thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #19 of 31

I just opened a new package of mats an hour ago and you are right - they STINK. It smelled just like a skunk to me.

Blech.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #20 of 31

Glad everyone likes the waxed paper trick. Leave the sticky on your mat!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #21 of 31

Leah your so smart, thats a brilliant idea

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:33am
post #22 of 31

If you use Eucalyptus Oil it removes the sticky from the mat. Just like removing sticky labels and then wash in hot soapy water.
Leahs I tried the paper on the mat over the sticky but I found that it wrinkled when it sat for a while but it was actually baking paper and I see you say waxed paper. Does that make a difference? Also it seemed to cut the paper as well as the gumpaste.

Cakepro Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #23 of 31

Meh, the waxed paper wrinkled on me on several occasions too, despite being applied very carefully. Guess I'll have a sticky-free mat for GP and a sticky mat for paper.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I found slow [ 2-3 ] speed and 9-11 thickness working yesterday, but then it was humid here not usual for SE Arizona, but we are in mid monsoon weather....so I'm sure things will have to be adjusted as I work on projects. That is what is nice with the gumpaste....no waste...try it at a setting....if it isn't right roll it out again and try an adjustment!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For giving me a good starting point! I also have a silhouette and have been struggling with it. Its been two weeks (well ok several days over two weeks) and so far I've only made a mess and managed to cut right through one of the mats! How long are you letting it dry? And how thick? I've tried a few thicknesses with my Pasta roller. I think maybe I'm just changing too many variables.... At least now I have a starting point and can go from there.
Thank you - fingers crossed!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 31

Sweet Southern Ladies (formerly Two Sweet Sisters) said that peanut butter works great for removing the sticky. My machine is still sitting in the box, but I thought I would pass their helpful hint along.

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #26 of 31

I got a three pack of these thin silicone cutting mats at walmart. They are 12" so perfect for the Expression. They are about the same thickness as the circut mats. Also, they are made for food prep so I feel good about their safety.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #27 of 31

hockeymomnh are those the ones with a coloured outer ring and a small picture of what each one is used for? If so careful the colours come off very easy. I bought them for doing small gumpaste projects and was very disappointed.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #28 of 31

Jennifer and Tobias Atwood recommend using 190 proof alcohol to remove the sticky and it works like a charm. It only took a few seconds and there isn't a trace of sticky left. Check out their website for more info http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php They have been testing and comparing the two cricut machines and are sharing their findings. They will also be using it on Ultimate Cake Off on 3/15/10.

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #29 of 31

The ones I got are just plain white and pretty thin and flexible. They are sort of placemat size. I have been using them for rolling out fondant and have had no problems at all.

jonifg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonifg Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #30 of 31

has anyone used thier cricut to make stncils to use for an airbrush on cakes? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%