I Need Some Advice...

Decorating By viv36 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm by viv36

viv36 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I will be making a cake for my son's birthday and just wanted to get some advice/feedback from the experts!

The party is on Sunday afternoon. i would like to make the cake on saturday - but will the cake remain moist? I will fill the cake (2 layers) with IMBC and frost the outside with it as well. Can I do all this Saturday evening? If so, do I leave the cake in the fridge or at room temp (it is a bit humid where I live)? Also, I will be making some fondant transformer designs that I will place on the cake top. I would like to make the fondant designs on saturday evening - I read somewhere that I can wrap the design in plastic wrap and it should be okay for sunday. Is this correct?

5 replies
Lenette Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 6

You can definitely do the cake Saturday, it will be fine for Sunday. Personally, I refrigerate and pull it out and hour or so before the party.

Don't forget to relax and have fun with it! icon_smile.gif

viv36 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:15am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply!

What about the fondant design? If i make the design on sat evening, can i let it sit on the counter overnight then place it on the cake on sunday - or do i need to wrap it?

ceshell Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #4 of 6

You are talking about just the design, right - meaning, by itself, not on the cake? If you want it to remain soft, you can wrap it; if you want it to firm up/dry out a bit, you can leave it unwrapped (however I personally would put it in something to protect it from dust, floaties, bugs, whatever). When I say "dry out" I don't mean that it would dry rock hard, btw.

If it were me, I would want to keep the design soft so that it will merge into my cake nicely. I wouldn't "wrap" it in plastic wrap per se; I would place it on a flat surface (cookie tray...or a plate...or in a corningware brownie dish...etc.) and then put plastic over it, not touching the design. Just to make sure that creases in the plastic don't dent your design. That may not be needed! It's just what I'd do icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 6

the cake will definately be fine. The purpose of the buttercream (other then being so yummy icon_lol.gif ) is to retain moisture in the cake. Filling the cake will also help with this.

viv36 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone for your responses. i will make the cake and fondant design this evening.

ceshell- i didn't think about how the saran wrap might "dent" the fondant - thanks for your input! i will place it in a dish then wrap the dish

Quote by @%username% on %date%