Around The World And 40Th Birthday

Decorating By dutchy1971 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm by dutchy1971

dutchy1971 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

My friend is turning 40 in August and asked me to make her cake, she has no idea what she wants. All I know it there will be about 100-120 ppl invited to the party and she's the queen of theme so everyone has to dress up as someone from another country. Now we're all expats from England and Ireland living in California and my friend is as English as they come. I'm stumped for ideas. I know she wouldn't appreciate the Over the Hill theme, she'd want something loud, vibrant and fun. Any ideas?

I

6 replies
Doug Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 7

her rugby team vs.....(worst enemy) team...

lots of color, blood even!

could be the pensioners vs. the youth (or age vs. youth)

-------

big map of a cake w/ flags for all the "countries" that are coming

or with mini monuments to represent the countries (big ben, eifle tower, leaning tower of pisa, pyramids, etc.)

or representation of foods of country (bangers and mash, fish & chips or tea pot in a cozy of course, spaghetti, beer barrel, wine bottle, lutefisk, etc.)

-------

whole bunch of doll cakes -- each in a different ethnic dress.

and she's the Queen of theme -- the English doll would have to be a queen of course (I vote Queen Victoria and have the whole thing set up to look like all the other dolls are paying tribute to her in the royal court)

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 7

Well, the obvious (to me anyways) comes to mind.....ready? This is super original (NOT)!!

Around the World in 40 Days theme?

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 7

I mean.....40 years? All of your friends representing areas of the world??

dutchy1971 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #5 of 7

Thats exactly what I thought Jamie, but here comes the ridiculous part, we have a friend in town who owns an English Style Bar and its themed after Phillieas Fogg and around the world in 80 days, my friend who used to work in the other English Pub in town and owns the English Shop next door to that pub, so we have a conflict of interest (if you knew these people you'd understand, it's all competition)

I like some of Dougs ideas. I really want to make a big old English Telephone Box, but it really doesn't tie into her theme. I had even thought of luggage with travel labels all over it. I hate it when people don't have any idea of what they want

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

Thats exactly what I thought Jamie, but here comes the ridiculous part, we have a friend in town who owns an English Style Bar and its themed after Phillieas Fogg and around the world in 80 days, my friend who used to work in the other English Pub in town and owns the English Shop next door to that pub, so we have a conflict of interest (if you knew these people you'd understand, it's all competition)

I like some of Dougs ideas. I really want to make a big old English Telephone Box, but it really doesn't tie into her theme. I had even thought of luggage with travel labels all over it. I hate it when people don't have any idea of what they want

then do Dr. Who and his Tardis

and expand the concept to beings from all over the universe and time!

(I'd have to come as one of the Sontarans -- at least I know the costume would fit!)

----

unless of course she's a Captain Jack fan (that naughty boy!), then it's Torchwood, Cardif? the face of Bo <---- hmm, that last, do a play on this is how she's going to look??? (mean, but fun!)

dutchy1971 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

ok think I got it, thanks Doug for the initial ideas.

Think I'm going either 2 or 3 tiers

Bottom tier will have silhouette of landmarks or symbols from around the world, Big Ben icon_smile.gif Eiffel Tower ,Map of Africa, Sydney Opera house or a kangaroo etc, thats the theme part taking part of.

2nd tier I was thinking of doing purse, lipstick and shoe cutouts, seeing as my friend is a bit of a fashionista, all in bright girly colours

if I do a 3rd I might do a half globe to tie in the theme again with London and San Diego highlighted to show where shes from and where she is now.

If Istop at 2 I'll add a big 40 on the top maybe some sparkles on wires coming out the top.

Ihave the vision, now to get my bloody cricut working lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%