First Tiered Cake Is Done... Opinions Please And Help!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 4:07am by Texas_Rose

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 7

I have completed my first stacked cake. I am pleased with it except my handwriting looks like a 7 yr old. Also I have an air bubble. My frosting is buttercream can I pop it with a pin or does that only work with buttercream?

I have added the photo to my album.

6 replies
bamberc Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 7

Very sweet-I love the little flowers and the butterfly, very dainty and sweet. I wish I had an answer about the bubble in your buttercream, it has happened to me before, as well. What method did you use to smooth your BC?

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 7

I used Viva method... I know why I got the bubble just dont know how to fix it and it doesnt help that it is rignt in the front

katwomen1up Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 7

Very pretty, is the baby done out of fondant or sugarpaste or is it plastic? Yes you can let the air out with a pin. I didn't see any writing

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 7

Bubbles have nothing to do with how well you smoothed your frosting. They are caused by air trying to escape from beneath the icing. Either the cake was not allowed to settle properly before you iced, it or other factors as well. You can pop it with a pin, and smooth it out, or peel the whole thing off in that area and reapply.

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7

The baby is a mix of fondant and gumpaste. When I put the topper on the cake the fondant circle had dried hard and did not sit flat on the top so I pushed on it. When I did it created the bubble. I will pop it with a pin and see what happend. Taking the frosting off would be very difficult all the decorations are already on.

There will also be a butterfly on the babies bottom, just have to ask Mommy to be which one she wants in the morning.

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

I like it a lot...the bead border was just what it needed icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't like your writing when you use buttercream, you can always use an edible marker or a paintbrush and thinned gel color to write on a piece of fondant, and then stick it on the cake. I don't have very nice writing on cakes, so if my husband's not around to do it for me, I usually use a paintbrush on fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%