Wanting Info About Cake Boards/ Stacking

Decorating By tonyap Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm by JanH

tonyap Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 2

I'm having problems trying to understand construction for stacked tier cakes, in reading and watchin DVD's.

Can someone tell me in doing stacked construction, is it okay to put the next layer of cake(teir) on a plain un-wrapped cardboard cake board or should the cake board be wrapped in a food save covering, like foil? From what I have read & watch there's not much that talks about this. Or maybe I'm just looking at the wrong thing or in the wrong spot.

The other question is, What if you use plastic corrugated cake circles. Is wooden dowel rods okay to use with these plastic boards? What about plastic dowel rods, are they okay to use? Or would this be trouble. I would thing that plastic on plastic would slide.

If you used the plastic dowel rods or straws, with the plastic corregated boards, what is the best way to set the cake so it will not slide. I wasn't sure if it would be possible to use a long wooden dowel rod through the center.

Any feed back would be great appreciated.

Thank you

1 reply
JanH Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 2

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, tonyap. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

In the above super thread there's a link that connects to photos and step-by-step directions on using the most common cake support systems.

And yes, many members just place their cake tiers on naked cardboard cakeboards. (I usually cover the plain cardboard with aluminum foil, though. But I don't bake in volume, so it doesn't really take any time to do this. Although it's easier just to purchase the coated cakeboards.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%