Will Roland Winbeckler Beat Mike Mcarey?

Decorating By TheresaXXX Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:00am by FromScratch

TwoSweetSisters Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #61 of 89

All of the cakes were awesome!!! Amazing amount of detail to get done in 8 hours!

BCJean Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #62 of 89

You can see pictures of all of the cakes on here....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FmmunrCc-y8/SdLEfOHLW0I/AAAAAAAAAIA/0NitEHLZb_w/s320/blog%2B1461%2BLauren.jpg&imgre

ok that doesn't work. You can find the pictures of the cakes if you google images sesame street cake challenge.

BCJean Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

How did Roland do -- was his a cool creation too?




I didn't see the show, as I don't have cable, but I did find photos of the finished cakes and I was so disappointed in Roland. He tried to use fondant and he is not a fondant man. He should have stuck with what he is a master at. I guess most of his cakes take more than 8 hours to complete.

7yyrt Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:07am
post #64 of 89

Nice, nice, nice!
I always wanted to be a Muppet, but the correct person won,
http://www.fancycakesbylauren.blogspot.com/

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #65 of 89

I though Mike did an amazing job making everything look so clean with no visible flaws.

miny Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #66 of 89

My favorite challenge so far!!! IMO everyone did an excellent job, the cakes were amazing and I'm super happy for Mike but, didn't you love the judges' moppets? And I felt horrible for the poor girl who got burned icon_sad.gif

bakery_chick Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:58am
post #67 of 89

I thought all the cakes were fantastic. Muppet Kerry Vincent was the BEST!!!! I am a HUGE M. M. fan, and I was very pleased when he won. I also thought it was pretty darn cool that he acknowledged Lauren's cake was "the most creative" cake there. All in all that was a fantastic challenge!!!!

Maria_Campos Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #68 of 89

I thought it was funny when Roland mentioned that when he looked over to Mike's table to see big bird and said he was not impressed, jealous much? I thought that was kind of mean spirited

Dang I got spelling issues for these pass couple of days! Too much sugar probably!

costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:04pm
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

I thought it was funny when Roland mentioned wheb he looked over to Mike's table to see big bird and said he was not impressed, jealous much? I thought that was kind of mean spirited




That was probably before it was finished. They edit liberally on those shows, so I'm sure he didn't say it to be mean. It could very well be that the editors took that snippet out of a full sentence and didn't put the rest in there.

Mike rocks, that Big Bird was great.

cylstrial Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #70 of 89

I wanted the lady with the chef puppets to win. I know the front of her table wasn't great - but the rest was amazing!

Don't get me wrong - Mike's was great too...I just really liked the other gal better.

Cake-Gal Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:20pm
post #71 of 89

I didn't think the comment about Mike's cake sounded like something Roland would say so I e-mailed them asking about the show.

If you notice, Roland said "initially when he saw the cake, he wasn't impressed." Of course he wouldn't be impressed with just stacked cake, he's done that himself many times.

What he actually said was that "intially" he wasn't impressed, but as Mike's cake came together, he thought it was great.

They tape those interviews for hours and edit them to use just what they want.

It is reality TV so they love to create drama even when none exists.

Maria_Campos Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Gal

I didn't think the comment about Mike's cake sounded like something Roland would say so I e-mailed them asking about the show.

If you notice, Roland said "initially when he saw the cake, he wasn't impressed." Of course he wouldn't be impressed with just stacked cake, he's done that himself many times.

What he actually said was that "intially" he wasn't impressed, but as Mike's cake came together, he thought it was great.

They tape those interviews for hours and edit them to use just what they want.

It is reality TV so they love to create drama even when none exists.




OK makes sense, I hate when they do stuff like that, I don't know much about Roland only that he's butter cream cakes are amazing and he convinced me into buying that Aztek airbrush (which I love by the way). But I'm glad he did not meanit in that way! I really don't need drama just show me the friggin cake techniques! There is enough drama over on Buddies show already LOL!!!

But seriously every one of those cakes were amazing, cake folks are stepping up their game!!!

Cake-Gal Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #73 of 89

I wish they would have an all-buttercream challenge.

Unless everyone was using it though, the buttercream decorator would be at a great disadvantage timewise since buttercream has to be supported with a frame and/or cake before you could even begin decorating.

With fondant or modeling chocolate, the support and decorating can all be one and the same.

And it's much more difficult and time consuming to decorate or get a smooth surface for a buttercream sculpture than to lay a piece of fondant over a shape.

It might be hard to find 4 really good buttercream decorators though.

7yyrt Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #74 of 89

Yeah, give them 2 days and make it BUTTERCREAM!!!

Cake-Gal Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #75 of 89

They probably wouldn't give them 2 days because studio time is expensive; but as long as everyone was using buttercream, it would be an even playing field.

And the audience could see how well cakes could be done with icing that they'd actually like to eat.

weirkd Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #76 of 89

My Tivo and guide also said it was a repeat of the Disney Classic cake challenge. But I went ahead and scheduled it to tape anyway and it was the Sesame Street one. You cant always go by what the tv guide or Tivo says!
I thought the team that had the burn did such an awesome job on their cake. I loved the muppet Kerry Vincent and the funny comment she made about the PC Dessert guy not looking like Brad Pitt!!
I was really shocked to see how arrogant Roland was and for all that smack talk I dont think his cake was as good as the rest of them. The pictures of the cakes they showed when they introduced him were jaw dropping and when I saw what he did I just couldnt believe it!
And what I like about Mike is he is such a nice guy. He doesnt throw it in anyone's face or act like he's better than everyone. He gave them all hugs and admitted that it could of been anyones game. But his Big Bird looked like the actual puppet was sitting on his board. He is so damn talented!

Cake-Gal Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #77 of 89

Did you read the previous page to this thread--they edited Roland's comments to make it sound that way.

He thought (and said in the interview) that Mike's cake was great. But they cut out that part.

It's reality TV and the whole "edge" to this show was pitting the two against each other--whether they had to make it up or not.

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Gal

Did you read the previous page to this thread--they edited Roland's comments to make it sound that way.

He thought (and said in the interview) that Mike's cake was great. But they cut out that part.

It's reality TV and the whole "edge" to this show was pitting the two against each other--whether they had to make it up or not.




I've had classes with some who have competed in those type of shows and they all have the same story -- the producers are out for the "drama" factor and not the decorating factor. And to be quite honest that's a big part of why I don't watch those shows. There's nothing edifying in it. thumbsdown.gif

weirkd Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #79 of 89

Yah, Im sure they do edit it a lot to make things look like their is tention. I saw that when they had Bronwen being the bad guy against Mary from Cake Girls. She is not that type of person at all!
But I still have to wonder how they could edit it to make him say how great he is ! (Referring to Roland). Didnt seem like they could edit it to make him praise himself so much! But maybe their editing genius's who know's! I still like watching the show, I ignore most of the drama and stuff and look at what they are doing.

Maria_Campos Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd


And what I like about Mike is he is such a nice guy. He doesnt throw it in anyone's face or act like he's better than everyone. He gave them all hugs and admitted that it could of been anyones game. But his Big Bird looked like the actual puppet was sitting on his board. He is so damn talented!




Totally! He just got too much damn talent and on top of being such an awesome sweet guy, he sounds like a great preson to work with because everytime I communicate with his bakery they all seem so nice and happy over there! He is truely my cake idol!

why cant I type today GOSH! icon_cry.gif

Cake-Gal Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #81 of 89

Mike is super talented and seems like a really nice guy.

I remember when through editing on the Disney Villain challenge, they made it look like Mike was intentionally upstaging the other challengers when he was telling jokes, etc.

In all those hours of interviews, I'm sure they ask each challenger why they think their cake will win, why their work is the best, do they plan to win, who they want to beat, etc. and then edit it however suits them, including only using portions of the replies.

They'll fabricate "drama" about anyone if it causes more people to talk about it.

weirkd Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #82 of 89

Mine too! I wanted to take a class with him a year ago but he had to cancel at the last minute. I was soooo bummed! He was the only reason why I even wanted to go!!
And your right, Ive emailed them and asked them questions and they were too happy to answer. Ive emailed some and you either dont get a reply or they act like your bothering them. Its nice when people dont get swelled heads once they get popular! Thank God that there are some people out there that are still like that!

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #83 of 89

trust me...... these shows are very produced and HEAVILY edited.

take it all with a grain....

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #84 of 89

trust me...... these shows are very produced and HEAVILY edited.

take it all with a grain....

Bellatheball Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #85 of 89

I love MM too. If I have a cake crush on anyone, it's him. He can take the most complex cake design and break it down into very simple parts. In fact, I stalk his site regularly to see if he has another Cakenology DVD out. I learn something from all of the decorators but I have the most "a HA!" moments from watching him.

That Big Bird was freaking amazing. The other girl with the muppets was fantastic too. (And I loved that she actually made Kerry V smile!) If she would have taken the time to reroll her fondant and make that flawless, she'd have made the competition even closer. Her work was fabulous!

Maria_Campos Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I love MM too. If I have a cake crush on anyone, it's him. He can take the most complex cake design and break it down into very simple parts. In fact, I stalk his site regularly to see if he has another Cakenology DVD out. I learn something from all of the decorators but I have the most "a HA!" moments from watching him.

That Big Bird was freaking amazing. The other girl with the muppets was fantastic too. (And I loved that she actually made Kerry V smile!) If she would have taken the time to reroll her fondant and make that flawless, she'd have made the competition even closer. Her work was fabulous!




I stalk his site too for DVDs!!!! LOL!!! I totally agree with you it would have been a lot closer, but his cake was clean and flawless, (except for the missing eyelash) Did you see him he was about to run back to go check the cake himself that it was really missing he was truly shocked!

miny Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #87 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

[quote= his cake was clean and flawless, (except for the missing eyelash) Did you see him he was about to run back to go check the cake himself that it was really missing he was truly shocked!




That's what a true professional does, I don't know why they did so much fuzz about a missing eyelash, I've lost hundreds too!!! icon_lol.gif

Cake-Gal Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #88 of 89

If you look earlier in the show when he's working on the character, it has both eyelashes.

FromScratch Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #89 of 89

I was glad that Mike won. I *heart* him too. Just a gracious, well-rounded, nice nice guy. That is rare these days.

I would love to take a class with him... someday I will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%