Will Roland Winbeckler Beat Mike Mcarey?

Decorating By TheresaXXX Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:00am by FromScratch

TheresaXXX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaXXX Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 89

The Food Network Challenge this Sunday (7/26) is Sesame Street Cakes! Roland Winbeckler is competing against Mike MCarey.

I wonder if they finally found someone to beat Mike?! The commercial I saw looks like this is gonna be interesting! I can't wait!!!

88 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 89

My tv guide says its a rerun of a Disney challenge. icon_sad.gif What time? Did I miss something?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 89

They are probably running the Disney one at 7 PM. The new challenge is usually at 8. I haven't checked the TV guide yet though. BUT I can't wait to watch it. Whoo hoo! We need a new one every single week!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 89

I know I can't wait!!!!! I have it on my work calendar, google calendar, icalendar and my itouch, it going to be crazy! But I am 100% positive Mike got this one!

cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

I know I can't wait!!!!! I have it on my work calendar, google calendar, icalendar and my itouch, it going to be crazy! But I am 100% positive Mike got this one!

That's hilarious! And I thought I was bad... icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 89

GRRR. I'm checking the Comcast tv guide and all night Saturday is a cake challenge rerun marathon, and both on Sunday are listed as a Disney rerun.

What?!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

I know right it's a sickness! But my hubby took my DVR away so I just wanted to make sure, plus I worship Mike! He is insane! And he finishes with such easy with time to spare, HOW!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 89

Roland Winbeckler? Wow!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 89

It almost doesn't seem like a fair competition -- Mike loves his fondant and Roland loves his buttercream -- the mediums aren't even the same. By all means let us know who wins (I don't have cable!) icon_cry.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 89

Man, I can't think of a more "night & day" competition icon_eek.gif

I have never seen RW work in anything but 2 dimensions on a buttercream covered cake..........never any stacking or sculpting. He's a nice man, but I think of his work as very 70s.

Mike, on the other hand, is so outside the box--very new era.

This should be really interesting!

Rae

Wow! I'm editing this to say that I WAS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I went to RW's site: winbeckler.com and WOW! Of the 6 times that I have seen him at ICES and Cake Camp, I have not ONCE seen any evidence that he would be so incredibly capable at sculpting and 3-D! Why the classes he offers at these events haven't showcased this incredible talent, I don' know, but this should be good!

Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 89

i have his book on stacking and sculpting. he is great.. now i will sit back and watch.. he makes life size people ..looks just like them.. thanks for this info..

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 89

at the convention...i have only known him to demo beautiful b/c flowers,etc.. i have all his books.. he does schedule classes on sculpting.. airbrushing, etc. haven,t taken them.. but can do his flowers.. i love him and marsha . they are very talented... people pay him big bucks to make life size sculptures of their husbands, etc. i saw one several years ago .on tv.. the sculpture looked just like her husband. down to the fingernails, ha! it was perfect..

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 89

This should be great... Roland has some incredible skills.. check out some of his sculptures.. www.winbeckler.com

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 89

I love both but for a FN challenge it's Mike all the way!!!!!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #15 of 89

I am so happy they finally asked Winbeckler to compete. He is one of the original 3D artists!

Justbeck101 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have never seen RW work in anything but 2 dimensions on a buttercream covered cake..........never any stacking or sculpting. He's a nice man, but I think of his work as very 70s.

Rae

Wow! I'm editing this to say that I WAS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I went to RW's site: winbeckler.com and WOW! Of the 6 times that I have seen him at ICES and Cake Camp, I have not ONCE seen any evidence that he would be so incredibly capable at sculpting and 3-D! Why the classes he offers at these events haven't showcased this incredible talent, I don' know, but this should be good!

Rae

You need to look him up, he is the one who started 3D carving!!!

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #17 of 89

R. Winbeckler has done some incredible, life size 3-d cakes. I'm glad to see Mike is back though. It will be interesting!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #18 of 89

My money would be on Mike, he is just so calm and looks to be totally enjoying what he is doing. If only we could all be like that!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Quote:

Rae

Rae

Ah, yeah, right...........if you read my ENTIRE post, you'll see that I did just that, apologized, and corrected myself. icon_confused.gif

Can't do anymore than that, can I?
Rae

Justbeck101 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:59am
post #20 of 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Quote:

Rae

Rae

Ah, yeah, right...........if you read my ENTIRE post, you'll see that I did just that, apologized, and corrected myself. icon_confused.gif

Can't do anymore than that, can I?
Rae

It's okay, don't get your panties in a wad, I am just a winbeckler fan!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:42am
post #21 of 89

That's a tough call, but I love Mike. It'll be a great one to watch. Can't wait!!!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #22 of 89

I'm rooting for Roland. He's wonderfully talented and probably the best I've ever seen with an air brush. He's also a great instructor, as is his wife. I can't wait to see the competition!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:01am
post #23 of 89

Roland gets my support. The extreme detail he gets is amazing. I don't know about Oscar the grouch though. Roland's best work is human faces.
I am super excited that they acknowledge that buttercream decorators aren't all has- beens.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:56am
post #24 of 89

OMG,OMG,OMG!!! I just saw RW's site, my first time looking at his 3D work and now I have mixed feelings about this FN challenge because being mike's fan I'm terrified with RW's trully amazing work in BC icon_eek.gif but at the same time I'm happy to see that this time around Mike is going to have real competition icon_biggrin.gif The only sure thing here is that we are going to be the winners just watching this 2 titans working their magic thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif can't wait, I'm more stressed than on my wedding day!!! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #25 of 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

I know right it's a sickness! But my hubby took my DVR away so I just wanted to make sure, plus I worship Mike! He is insane! And he finishes with such easy with time to spare, HOW!!!

Hey, if you have to get sick....I'd take this being sick every day! icon_wink.gif
He took away your DVR? That's torture for a cake girl! icon_eek.gif Sorry about your DVR. You'll have to sneakily buy a new one and hide in the pantry or something.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #26 of 89

Lauren Kitchens is in this challenge as well. I really admire her abilities. She's up against some tough competition; however, and discusses it in her blog:

http://fancycakesbylauren.blogspot.com/2009/02/sesame-street.html

If you remember, she debuted at the Disney Challenge and did Mary Poppins coming out of her carpet bag. I was really impressed with her calm composure in that challenge. Even though she fell short of her own expectations, she never got catty or boo-hooed over her performance.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #27 of 89

I had the AWESOME experience of taking Mike's chocolate class in March. He was going to tape the challenge the day after our class and he showed us a picture of what he was doing for Sesame Street. After the taping, he said that it went well, but that it was a really difficult challenge! I can't wait to see the outcome!!!

On a side note, after seeing him in class, he is VERY calm while he works, and his work space is SUPER clean and organized ALL the time!

I can't wait for tomorrow's show!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #28 of 89

After checking Winbeckler's site, I see he is now using fondant on some of his displays. That is what he will probably do on the challenge, just to be with the times, and I will be so disappointed. His fondant work doesn't compare to his buttercream work, IMO.

I wanted to see a challenge of not so much Roland vs Mike.....but buttercream vs fondant.

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #29 of 89

R.Winbeckler is awesome , but M. McCarey IS THE MAN! His work has better proportions and is cleaner than anyone else out there in 3-D Cakeland in my opinion. No matter who wins, it's going to be fabulous to watch the masters at work. Can't wait!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #30 of 89

This challenge will probably be the most interesting of all of them.

How many of you will be unplugging the phone for this one?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%