Getting Fondant To Dry Harder??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm by luv2bake6

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 7

Can you mix dry gumpaste powder into fondant to get it to dry harder??

I am making a man for a cake out of fondant, and my fondant cracked! I tried to fix it, but it was just too soft!

Thanks
Rhonda

6 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

I've never used gumpaste powder - I've always mixed the gumpaste after it's been made with the fondant to harden it. If you have the powder - make some and mix it. The other option is Tylose powder - that you can definately mix into the fondant to make it harden more.

Rhonda19 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 7

I have been reading about the Tylose powder, and I can't seem to locate any?? If you use it, would you mind telling me where you get it from??

Thanks

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 7

Tylose is hard to find if you don't have a cake decorating store nearby. Fortunately I do, and that's where I bought mine. Otherwise, you might need to get it online. It's fairly cheap although on some sites shipping will kill you. Cakeart.us usually has good shipping prices (at least on tiny orders of luster dust; you can buy 2 jars of dust and pay less than $3 in shipping), but I noticed she is out of tylose right now icon_sad.gif - might want to email her to find out when it will be in stock again.

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 7

Just thought I would update on this thread I started.....

I didn't have any tylose, and didn't have time to order any so I just mixed gumpaste powdered into my fondant. It dried Rock Hard!!! So far it's holding up great!

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

Double post....sorry

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

Sounds great!
GSA sells Tylose. I just ordered some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%