A Few Questions - First Fondant Cake

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm by Lyndseyb52

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 2

Hi there , new to this forum and will be attempting to make a 2 tier fondant cake in the near future so i had a few questions to ask...

I have baked several of the butter based cake recipies from Warren Browns Cakelove book.
Im wondering wether the butter cakes are sturdy enough to use fondant on?
I understand i need to use suppports for this 2 tier cake, How many dowels are needed to support an 8inch fondant covered cake on a 10inch fondant base cake?
Ive been looking at the straws method and wondered if anyone had tried using the dunkin donuts or mc d's straws which are wide and fairly thick and free!

Also i have a recipie for a regular chocolate buttercreme as a filling and wondered if anyone had mixed in nutella to make it a hazelnut chocolate creme, and if they did how did it turn out?
If i use a chocolate filling on a yellow butter cake , when i dirty ice it for the fondant do i just use plain vanilla buttercreme, if the fondant color is going to be plain white?

thankyou for you time and help

1 reply
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure what the cakes are like that you mentioned, but I find it best to use a heavier cake that is easier to carve and take the weight of the fondant.

Personally I use 4 dowels or heavy straws for 2 tier cakes. I found the dowels designed to stack cakes too hard for me to cut which makes it more difficult to get them exact. I've been successful with 4 straws evenly placed, about an inch in from the edge of your top cake. Then I use a bit of royal icing in the middle to secure it.

Hazelnut buttercream sounds lovely to me!! But would use normal buttercream between the cake and fondant.

Good luck, hope you share some photos when it's done icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%